Menu

Few people here mention Stewart English. Considering it post-Advanced Lang. Lessons.

I plan to have my rising 7th grader go through what's available of Advanced Language Lessons and am considering the follow-up once he's completed that. I could revisit R&S English, which I used to good effect for years. A fine, solid program, but there's only so much a woman can take, if you kwim.

It occurs to me that Stewart English might fit the bill. While the most recent edition of TWTM recommends it as a rhetoric resource, it would seem the first book, at least, would be perfectly manageable for a competent 7th/8th grader (as recommended by the publisher). It's interesting that Stewart is mentioned here so seldom. I know Abbey likes it quite well, and Luann in ID has used it, too. Beyond that, though, few people here seem familiar with it. Not sure why that is.

Any thoughts on using the first Stewart book alongside Writing With Skill?

Colleen, do you mind if I ask about another middle & high school grammar program here? It may give you another option.

I recently looked at the curricula of some private college prep schools and some of them use Sadlier-Oxford Grammar for Writing.

Has anyone used these?

(I am asking for a friend's son who's in 7th grade.)

Colleen, do you mind if I ask about another middle & high school grammar program here? It may give you another option.

I recently looked at the curricula of some private college prep schools and some of them use Sadlier-Oxford Grammar for Writing.

Has anyone used these?

(I am asking for a friend's son who's in 7th grade.)

I don't mind having your question here, but if you start a different thread with the name of the program in the thread title you'll probably get more feedback.:)

We like Stewart here as well. I think the first book would be perfect for a competent 7th/8th grader. Since dd was doing Analytical Grammar at that point, we did Stewart 1 & 2 this year in ninth and will finish book 3 next year in 10th (or possibly over the summer instead.) There is a lot of great stuff in Book 2, in particular, and we're looking forward to the beginning rhetoric in book 3! I'd say that dd spends 15-20 minutes per day on the lessons (sometimes less.)

We like Stewart here as well. I think the first book would be perfect for a competent 7th/8th grader. Since dd was doing Analytical Grammar at that point, we did Stewart 1 & 2 this year in ninth and will finish book 3 next year in 10th (or possibly over the summer instead.) There is a lot of great stuff in Book 2, in particular, and we're looking forward to the beginning rhetoric in book 3! I'd say that dd spends 15-20 minutes per day on the lessons (sometimes less.)

Thanks for the info, Elise. Are you planning have your second daughter use Stewart English as well?

Yes, she is finishing up Analytical Grammar right now and will move into Stewart next. She *loves* grammar, so she has been looking over her sister's shoulder in anticipation (crazy kid!).

Hmmm...now this is interesting to me, that you'd use Analytical Grammar in addition to, and before, Stewart. I made a foray into AG a number of years ago. It did the job, but I wasn't inspired enough to keep at it. I have it in my backpocket and will keep it in mind if my 7th grader has trouble with Stewart.

Is there any reason why this couldn't be for a younger than 7th grade student?

I was intrigued and liked the samples so I bought it (the price was right). I think it would work great for my son. He has done FLL 1 through 4 and MCT Grammar/Practice Town. Grammar concepts come easily to him. I'm just wondering why this is considered a 7th grade level book.

I think one reason it's directed at 7th/8th grades is because the accompanying books (there are two more) are significantly more challenging and less-than-ideal for younger students. In fact, the most recent edition of TWTM now has Stewart listed as a high school resource.

• 2 years later...

By showing students a great sentence by J. K. Rowling or E. B. White, they quickly see how to do it and can take their writing to the next level. It is a copyrighted approach and, as far as I know, the only one that makes the connection between reading, writing, and grammar.

This actually sounds quite similar to the Killgallon approach.

I just checked out the student sample of SOS writing and the free teacher's guide. It looks very intriguing to me. I had not planned to use a specific writing program with my 8th grader this year, but I think it just changed my mind. It doesn't seem like I could go wrong for $13!

This actually sounds quite similar to the Killgallon approach.

Where did the quoted post come from? I can't see it in this thread. :huh:

Also, I hope the author will provide a PDF, Kindle or Android ebook format soon. I don't have an iTunes account and don't want to deal with anything "Apple".