Menu

how far ahead do you buy materials?

if it is something that I KNOW I will use, I might buy ahead, but if there is any uncertainty, then I won't.

:iagree:

I try to keep that in mind- otherwise we would be broke and I would have a house full of books that I "might" like! The only things I buy more than a year ahead have been math and English, and those I buy used when I find a good deal:)

I normally only buy workbooks ahead for my son. If I buy dd a curriculum and plan to use it for him in the future I get 2. Things change and disappear. Other than that one year with a bit of buffer and that's because we live in the UK and I only order once a year.

I just bought a couple things for the year after next. I'm pretty certain I'll use the curriculum, I got free shipping with the bigger order, and I want to have the main texts on hand for planning some book orders around it.

For math, I bought workbooks for the younger DD when I ordered for the olders because I don't want to be stuck with different textbook and workbook versions if they change anything.

This year I bought early since kiddo wanted all one publisher, and it was cheapest to buy at a hotel meeting.

Normally, however, I just buy science so I can start planning lab supplies in advance. Everything else is last minute.

:)

Mine is only in Pre-K and I'm resisting. I can't know what will work for her and what new stuff will be out. Learning aids are my exception. Encyclopedias, historical fiction or non-fiction, learning games, manipulatives - if I find good deals on any of that I pick it up.