Menu

Anyone with experience raising a service dog?

I'm interested in raising a guide dog, but I need some positive stories to help convince DH that this is a good idea. We have talked a lot to the people at the local organization, and we've visited a dog training class for this organization. The problem is that DH is really worried that it is going to be too hard to give up the puppy. We had a long-time pet dog die two years ago, and it was a very traumatic experience for our whole family. I'm thinking that it is different if you know from the start that you will be giving the dog away, and that he is going to a good home.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it really heartbreaking to give the dog away?

I'm thinking that it is different if you know from the start that you will be giving the dog away, and that he is going to a good home.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it really heartbreaking to give the dog away?

I foster for a dog rescue, and yes, it is really hard to let a dog go to a new home. I make myself do it, because I can intellectually understand why it's the right thing, but it always makes my heart hurt. It's important to bond with the animals we bring into our homes. The training process ( or in my case the rehabilitative process) produces a connection that goes beyond simply having a pet. It's an investment in another living being (like homeschooling ;) ), and I think it's impossible to let go without some pain.

I haven't raised a service dog, but I do have a dd who will apply for one when she's old enough.

Would it help if you guys read some of the stories of people getting their dogs? You are giving up a puppy, yes, but you are also giving someone an incredible gift.

I've read lots of the stories, but I'm not sure if DH has actually read them. That is a great idea, I'll send him a link.

I foster for a dog rescue, and yes, it is really hard to let a dog go to a new home. I make myself do it, because I can intellectually understand why it's the right thing, but it always makes my heart hurt. It's important to bond with the animals we bring into our homes. The training process ( or in my case the rehabilitative process) produces a connection that goes beyond simply having a pet. It's an investment in another living being (like homeschooling ;) ), and I think it's impossible to let go without some pain.

Thanks for your honesty. I'm sure it will be difficult, but I really think that this is worthwhile.

I'm interested in raising a guide dog, but I need some positive stories to help convince DH that this is a good idea. We have talked a lot to the people at the local organization, and we've visited a dog training class for this organization. The problem is that DH is really worried that it is going to be too hard to give up the puppy. We had a long-time pet dog die two years ago, and it was a very traumatic experience for our whole family. I'm thinking that it is different if you know from the start that you will be giving the dog away, and that he is going to a good home.

My oldest trained a puppy for Guiding Eyes for the Blind when she was around 13/14. There is a LOT of work involved in puppy training to be a service dog and by the time our puppy failed (yup) my daughter was SO over the puppy stage. I was more upset when we put the dog in the crate and off she went. We could have kept her but opted to give her away...which was really best. Our puppy was definitely a social dog. She always did way better when she visited other raisers who had multiple dogs (we had no other pets). She went to a home that had other dogs.

It can be very hard to give up the dog, but when they pass there's a sense of accomplishment and pride that YOUR dog is doing this.... at least that's what I heard from other raisers.

My daughter has a mobility service dog. She has been WONDERFUL for my DD. there are many organizations, and a few really good ones, if you ask me :).

I would encourage you to work with an organization that does not charge the recipient and has a reputable history.

You will really be making a difference in someone's life.