Menu

Do you assign reading every day?

NotSoObvious

My girls are avid readers, so I'm not worried about the amount of time they are reading.

However, I would like to be able to choose certain books for them to read that correlate to something we are learning. Sometimes they choose these on their own, sometimes they don't. I'd also like them to work on their own narrations. They are in 4th grade.

Do you have your kids do a narration page each day (on their own) about what they have read?

If we are doing WWE 3 as well, is this too much? We also do written narrations for history.

I don't want them to kill their love of reading, but I do want them to know how to read something they aren't necessarily interested in and respond appropriately. Does that make sense? I know it's a school skill, but I think it's an important one.

What do you do?

I assign reading from history or science. I use the suggestions in the SOTW for history reading. DS chooses his topics for science but I pick the books. I don't make him do narrations from those as he already does narrations from history.

I do, however, make him do one book report/wk. The report is on a book of his choosing. It is a very simple format:

Title

Author

Main Characters

Setting

Plot (1-2 paragraphs)

Favorite scene: (illustration)

We use a lit program for reading but I assign an extra book or two for history/science each week. I mix up what I expect to be produced from that reading, though. Sometimes a simple book report. Sometimes a small project. This week I'm assigning copywork - one passage from the book that spoke to him or gave advice he thinks will help him in his own life.

For my younger son, who is really just beginning to read well, yes.

For my older son, who reads constantly, not usually. He has to log what he reads so I have a record of it. Sometimes I make him do a report of some kind, although we have gotten away from that recently and I need to be doing more. Occasionally I have handed him a book and told him to read it, but mostly I just try to make sure that the kids' bookshelf is stocked with good stuff. :)

Yes, I assign reading every day. Yes, I expect a narration daily. No I do not require a written narration daily.

My dd9 is a huge, voracious reader, always has been. She has a historical fiction or a good literature book going at all times, assigned by me. (or that she picked from a basket that I put out to choose from) then she has other books of her own choosing going as well. She does outlines from history twice weekly and a once weekly science narration due. I am more lax on the written lit. narrations since she does a lot in the other subjects. Occasionally her english text will assign a book report. And I have her do maybe one a month on our own.

My 2nd grader, who is still in the learning to read stages, and does most of her reading aloud to me, narrates back after she reads and answers questions. She does twice weekly written history narrations and once weekly science narration due too. She does less than 1 a month of written lit narrations at this point. As her reading and writing skills grow, I will assign more.

She reads to me daily aloud from books I choose. In rest times she can read books on her own of her own choosing. She will tell me about those (oral narration.)

We have been working our way into the Robinson Curriculum for several months which suggests 2 hours of reading daily. We just increased the reading time from 1 to 2 hours, broken up into two 1-hour sessions. One hour they read a book from the RC booklist and the other hour they can choose what they read, for now. Eventually the two hours will be strictly school books.

I assign 30 minutes of reading to ds daily, in addition to the time I spend reading aloud to him. The books are chosen by me, though sometimes with his input. He is allowed to read in bed at night whatever he wants.

My dd has literature she was to read as part of her English credits. Those are works chosen by me. She is an avid reader and reads a TON aside from that literature.

Assigned reading has never killed the joy in our house. Rather, I think the more challenging reading I assign has shaped my kids' tastes away from the simplistic or trashy.

I assign reading everyday for one hour. At first it was just for my sanity. How that my son has caught the reading bug, I have to tell both kids to put their books down and go do a different subject. They also read in the morning before breakfast and at night before bed.

We use a lot of Ambleside Online books. I assign readings from 2 books daily, usually one from a history book and another from a literature one. My ds, 10, who struggles with reading reads his literature book to me and listens to and is supposed to follow along with an audio book for history.

I've done history and literature this way since my 2 big kids were able to read on their own. Dd is now in college and seems to be doing well so far. ;)

HTH