Menu

Looking for Dolch friendly books

homefront

I'm working on lesson plans for my hard of hearing/nearly deaf daughters. I'm looking for dolch early reader/books and series/repetitive books like the Biscuit books. Many that I've looked at recently have horrible sentence structure. Good illustrations are a big plus.

Please no debate on phonics vs sight words. My dds phonics instruction is currently listening training.

The Pathway Readers published by the Amish are excellent because, although the sight words are repetitive, they are extremely interesting. They begin with First Steps and then Days Go By and then More Days Go By.

They leave religion completely out of their books but the stories do teach morals and values in such a fun, cute way. My daughter adores them.

http://www.timberdoodle.com/Pathway_Readers_First_Grade_Set_p/480-015.htm

I honestly cannot recommend them enough.

My son also needs phonics/leveled readers and it can be a struggle. I second the recommendation for Pathways Readers. Also, some of the Dr. Zeus Beginner books (some are better than others). I bought some of the Sonlight early readers (I Can Read It - not religious) and they look pretty good.

We're also going though the Little Bear series. They are part of the the I Can Read series. I have found some books in the series to be more challenging than others. I just order them from the library and see if they work for us now or will keep for later.

Child 1st Publications also has some great readers as well as other stuff.

Meet the Sight Words books look like the deaf ed program readers which are not setup for homeschools to buy.

The pathway readers look good too. And hopeful will blend in with our CLE stuff.

Now I need more... We will be at this stage longer than most kids.

How old are the girls? Maybe Little Critter books like "Just for You"?

Also, not a series, but City Dog, Country Frog is very repetitive well written, and has wonderful illustrations. Lovely, lovely book. Both its illustrator and author have also done other books that might work.

Edited by Pen

TV holds no interest for my girls. Thanks to a member on this board we do have some signing time dvds, which my older children enjoyed.

I do own a few of the Little Critter books they are a hit and miss on reading level.

City Dog, Country Frog ending would have my girls crying.

I've checked more than one set Scholastic readers and not found early ones that have good sentences. Some of their printables look promising.

I'm looking at some of the guided/graded readers that you see in the public school. I like them as little now as when my oldest was in K.

I'm game for more ideas.

• 3 weeks later...

There are British series of readers based on the key words method (similar to Dolch). The different series of readers are from a company called Ladybird. You might want to look at those. Here is the site:

http://www.ladybird.co.uk/ladybirdworldwide/keywords.html

When I first saw your post I couldn't remember the name of the company. Here is another link with more info on their different series. My son's preschool teacher uses the Tom and Kate books.

http://books.ladybird.co.uk/static/cs/uk/13/learntoread.html

I think the Free &Treadwell readers might be useful. I'm copying an old post where I tracked them down.

Incidentally, you can get all the Treadwell/Free readers online up to grade 6 at least. I used them and liked them (and we discussed them in the recent non-babyish readers thread).

From Google Books -- where some are mislabeled --

Reading--literature: the primer

Reading-literature: Book 1

Reading Literature: Second Reader

Reading Literature: Third reader

Reading-literature fourth reader

Reading Literature: Fifth reader (took me forever to find!)

Reading-literature : sixth reader

And the manual -- Primary reading and literature: a manual for teachers

Primer through Year 3 at Main Lesson (nicely formatted for reading off a computer screen).

Eta: I think this is the thread I was refering to

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270393

There are other ideas in it for easy to read books.

Edited by stripe