Menu

Anyone travel cross country on amtrak with kids?

We are considering taking the train from WI to Seattle. It's 41 hours :blink:

It's certainly better than driving (our original plan) and about the same cost between hotels and gas.

The sleeping cars are not an option because that puts the cost the same as plane tickets.

So we'd be in the seats for 41 hrs. Yikes. 4 kids ages 2, 7, 10, 13

I know that they are comfy seats and lots of room.

I know the kids can walk around and stretch out.

But the idea of being cooped up for 41 hrs STRAIGHT is kind of scary to me. :tongue_smilie:

At least when we are driving we get to stop as needed, shower each day, have a little privacy when scolding my kids ;) and not have some one see me when I sleep :001_huh:

But that would be 4 days/3 nights of driving.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Not cross country, but we did do Amtrak from VA to FL (auto train) with 5 boys under the age of 6. Sitting in seats, no sleeper. I'm not sure I'd do it again unless my kids were older...I would opt to fly over taking the train if costs were the same. The seats aren't bad, but the kids had a hard time sleeping in them. While they do recline, they don't go horizontal. We brought pillows/blankets etc. We were on the lower level of the train and had a section to ourselves, thank goodness. (Lots of elderly passengers who would not have enjoyed our crew.) The food was pretty good and the kids LOVED eating on a train. They loved the bathrooms, go figure, and it was nice to be able to walk around and not have them strapped into a car seat/seat belt. That said, it was LONG, and ours was only overnight (4pm to 8am the next morning.)

Sorry I can't be more helpful. If nothing else, it would be an adventure and your kids would probably talk about it for years.

:lurk5:

We have been thinking about a train vacation through America, and I am interested in experiences too. My kids loved the 1.5 ride we took a few weeks ago, but I do not know how it would go for days on a train.

The only advice I can give is pack food, because train food is very expensive and not that good.

We did the sleeper car (have done so twice), and DD loved it at both age 5 and at age 7. With a sleeper, meals are included, and you have access to a shower, either in your car or right near it. It is true that you don't have much privacy, but you can have one parent take the kids to the observation car for a bit while the other rests. Being able to move around was a big help, and so is being able to plug in things like portable DVD players, iPod chargers, and so on. I would happily take Amtrak over flying or driving, even if the cost is the same, so long as the time allows. Unfortunately, for us, usually the time doesn't allow.

We looked into this last summer (MI to Seattle), and ended up driving. It was actually a great trip, because we took just over a week to do it instead of going straight through. We spent two nights in South Dakota at the Ingalls homestead, two nights at Custer State park, and two nights at Yellowstone. All of those were campground-type places, so cheaper than a hotel (though Yellowstone is close, I think $70), plus not having to rent a car when we got there I think we came out ahead. I broke up the drives to be 10 hours or less each day, with long drives divided between the longer stays.

With a sleeper car= yes I would do it, without sleeper car= no I would not!

:iagree:

Having your own space for a retreat is everything! For a trip of that length, I'd definitely go for the sleeper car.

FYI - I used to travel Amtrak home from college regularly in coach. I've done the Auto Train twice with young kids. I've traveled from PA to MI numerous times with small children. (Both coach and a sleeper car.) Coach with kids is hard.

We looked into this last summer (MI to Seattle), and ended up driving. It was actually a great trip, because we took just over a week to do it instead of going straight through. We spent two nights in South Dakota at the Ingalls homestead, two nights at Custer State park, and two nights at Yellowstone. All of those were campground-type places, so cheaper than a hotel (though Yellowstone is close, I think $70), plus not having to rent a car when we got there I think we came out ahead. I broke up the drives to be 10 hours or less each day, with long drives divided between the longer stays.

The more we talk about it, I think we'll drive too. We were thinking if we could do 10 hrs a day of driving we could get there in 3 days/2nights if we drove straight through but I think we might spend a night or 2 in Glacier Nat'l Park.

If we didn't have a gas guzzling suburban that got 11 miles to the gallon it wouldn't be so bad :glare: But at least we'll travel in comfort!

:iagree:

Having your own space for a retreat is everything! For a trip of that length, I'd definitely go for the sleeper car.

FYI - I used to travel Amtrak home from college regularly in coach. I've done the Auto Train twice with young kids. I've traveled from PA to MI numerous times with small children. (Both coach and a sleeper car.) Coach with kids is hard.

Too bad the family sleeper car makes it MORE than airline tickets. Even the 2 person sleeper car makes it the same as airline tickets.

Too bad the family sleeper car makes it MORE than airline tickets. Even the 2 person sleeper car make it the same as airline tickets.

I know. I wish they made it at all reasonable to travel by train with a sleeper. We've done that twice and it was fun! But, it was SO hard to do it without. We haven't traveled by train in over 10 years and the cost is why! We either drive or fly now.

Have you priced out renting a car and driving? With gas prices where they are, you may find a great deal and save that amount in the better gas mileage. (FYI - we rented a car in LA for 21 days for just over $400 last fall and we drove to NV, AZ and back.)

No, not without a sleeper. And that's exactly why we don't usually travel overnight on the train - it ends up being too expensive to be worth it.

I've done it - one night, 12 hours, no kids, no sleeper car. It was fine, I slept ok. The snack car ran out of food several times, and what they had was gross. There is no way to shower or even wash properly. For one night it's ok, but for 2 or 3 nights with 4 little kids, I vote no way.

I did a 28 hour trip in coach just me and an 8 month old. It went ok. The train was pretty packed, so there wasn't a lot of breathing room. The people behind us talked and watched movies at night which made it hard to sleep. Our particular train did not have outlets at the seats to charge electronics, but there were outlets in the observation car.

Now that he's almost two, I can't imagine that trip going nearly as well as it did. I would be scared to attempt it, although the car ride doesn't sound all that much better. I'm hoping your 2 year old is a much calmer soul than mine!

Good luck!

The snack car ran out of food several times, and what they had was gross.

I forgot about that! By the time we got down there for breakfast (not terribly late, 8:45 maybe?) they were out of 90% of their options. I don't remember what I ended up eating, but I remember it not being particularly pleasant.

I have a friend who took her two kids cross-country on Amtrak a few years ago. They were about 9 & 12. It was a disaster. Afterward, she wished she had flown as it ended up costing her as much!

1. They were careful to keep an eye on their stuff but at some point a thief snatched a portable DVD player that she had borrowed from another friend - so she had to replace that.

2. For food, there were only 2 options: Yukky fast-food type stuff (moderately inexpensive) or very expensive sit-down dining. They only had the dining room meal once, but the food costs still added up. (I don't know how convenient it is to bring your own food).

As I said, she wished she had flown for what it ended up costing her. It will be even trickier for you since you have to care for your littles. If I were you I'd fly or drive.

Uh....no.

Not without a sleeper car. Ever.

Trains are notorious for getting your stuff stolen, for having crappy food, no privacy, and a ridiculous lack of security, especially in this day and age.

Air travel all the way for me.

I used to commute on the AmTrak several times per month to NYC from Wilmington, DE, and honestly.....:ack2:

Check around for cheaper airline tickets. I've often been surprised at the last minute, or by checking several times a day. You can get lucky.

We are considering taking the train from WI to Seattle. It's 41 hours :blink:

It's certainly better than driving (our original plan) and about the same cost between hotels and gas.

The sleeping cars are not an option because that puts the cost the same as plane tickets.

So we'd be in the seats for 41 hrs. Yikes. 4 kids ages 2, 7, 10, 13

I know that they are comfy seats and lots of room.

I know the kids can walk around and stretch out.

But the idea of being cooped up for 41 hrs STRAIGHT is kind of scary to me. :tongue_smilie:

At least when we are driving we get to stop as needed, shower each day, have a little privacy when scolding my kids ;) and not have some one see me when I sleep :001_huh:

But that would be 4 days/3 nights of driving.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I haven't, but a friend did it with 7 kids from infant to 10yo. from Seattle to Chicago. She survived...barely;).

I'll let you know on Monday... we are leaving tonight for a 43 hr cross country trip. :tongue_smilie:

5 kids ages 2-13 and no sleeper car. We are excited. I realize it may not go perfect, but it is an adventure of a lifetime. We have a bag packed with food so that we only will have to purchase 2 meals the whole time.

Our decision came down to cost and convenience: Even renting a car when we get there, its only $500 more than driving would have been. It would have taken us an extra 2 days each way to drive. The wear and tear on our van would be awful.

I say go for it!! :D

Well, I'm no help. We went from VA to Florida overnight and had sleeper cars. It was a blast -- a really neat adventure that I'd love to do again.

Can you consider getting one sleeper car that you guys can trade using?

I think trying to do that many nights without any access to a real bed would be very hard.

Alley

I forgot about that! By the time we got down there for breakfast (not terribly late, 8:45 maybe?) they were out of 90% of their options. I don't remember what I ended up eating, but I remember it not being particularly pleasant.

I do remember. Microwave french bread pizza for dinner (we were there at 6pm, but the dinner car had opened at 4pm) and a cold shared bagel (no cream cheese) for breakfast. Both were stupid expensive. BRING FOOD.

Also, our train got delayed by about 4 hours because of a derailment ahead, and the snack car was completely out of food by that point. Also, the toilets were overflowing, out of TP, etc. Apparently they don't service the toilets during delays.

The lack of a shower wouldn't normally be a big deal b/c I don't shower daily anyway, but the heat had issues so we were sometimes sweating, sometimes freezing in our sweaty clothes. A shower would have helped a lot with the feeling of ickiness. The state of the bathrooms didn't really allow for a spongebath or anything either.

Incidentally, we travelled all over Europe on trains the year before and it was great. European trains are really just much better set up for actual travel than Amtrak.

I'll let you know on Monday... we are leaving tonight for a 43 hr cross country trip. :tongue_smilie:

5 kids ages 2-13 and no sleeper car. We are excited. I realize it may not go perfect, but it is an adventure of a lifetime. We have a bag packed with food so that we only will have to purchase 2 meals the whole time.

Our decision came down to cost and convenience: Even renting a car when we get there, its only $500 more than driving would have been. It would have taken us an extra 2 days each way to drive. The wear and tear on our van would be awful.

I say go for it!! :D

Can't wait to hear from you! Be sure to post your experience! Good luck!