Menu

What Spiral program compliments Singapore?

diaperjoys

We mix Miquon Math Materials with Singapore -- one book from Miquon, one book from Singapore. For example, after finishing Singapore 2B, we are now working on Miquon Green (4th book), and the plan is to do Singapore 3A next. In addition, we use card games (e.g., multiplication and division war) ~10 minutes daily to keep the facts fresh in memory.

MEP is spiral, at least that is how they describe themselves. It is free, a nice option if you already bought SM.

I have used it successfully with SM for my younger. For my older, 6th grade son, it got to be too much math. With MEP you really have to use the lesson plans, that is where the teaching is. If you just use the worksheets then you might as well get a bunch of Kumon books and some brain teasers/logic problems.

Speaking of that... I have used Kumon books for review and it worked nicely.

I am using Horizons K and MEP 1 with SM 1 and it seems to be fine. We are working more slowly through SM 1 than the other two at the moment but I switch it around a lot - my DD does two of them a day so if two seem to work better at some stage I stick with those two and usually only change if there is some resistance or we need a break.

Miquon Math Lab is a brilliant way to introduce concepts in developmentally appropriate means (using guided discovery and concrete means) and gives outstanding teacher education to parents who put in the time studying the materials.

The MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Programme) materials share the whole-parts math model with Singapore and Miquon, but have their own unique feel. MEP is very complementary to Singapore.

The RightStart game set is another good way to keep up "practice" in the guise of "play." Very effective.

And the supplementary Singapore books, including Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems, can be used unaligned with the "core" books to provide both challenge and review.

Bill

Another vote for Horizons. (I use Horizons as my main program and Singapore materials to supplement, but it is common to do the reverse.)

I think you could just buy the Horizons workbooks without the TM since you are teaching the conecepts in Singapore. However, you may want to get the Horizons TM because it has instructions on doing drill practice and speed tests which I think are very helpful.

I think you could just buy the Horizons workbooks without the TM since you are teaching the conecepts in Singapore. However, you may want to get the Horizons TM because it has instructions on doing drill practice and speed tests which I think are very helpful.

I only buy the Horizons workbooks. I use Singapore as my teaching curriculum. I haven't found the need to add any extra drill to Horizons. It has so many problems as it is (for a supplement). However, I also use IP, CWP, and Miquon in full as well as a handful of other fun supplements so YMMV.

My youngest uses CLE and Singapore. Another child has used Saxon for five years but I haven't supplemented him with Singapore. I liked Horizons the one year I used it but I did not like the teachers' manuals. I don't necessarily need scripted lessons but I do like plenty of explanation and detail for me, as math is not my gifting :001_huh: I learn, re-learn, or find new ways of doing something right along with my 5th grader.

We use Saxon as our main math curriculum, but since we do math all year, I have been supplementing with various worksheets. Starting in July, I am going to add Math In Focus alongside Saxon 1.

I can't believe there are so many people using Horizons! I'm going to have to look into that, although I do LOVE Saxon...