Menu

Questions for all you chicken people.

I went all winter without a single egg and attributed it to the fact that 5 of my 6 hens are getting older (they're 3 years old now) but it never explained why the spring pullet had never once laid anything. I put a light on a timer in their coop and it never helped.

Then spring came and they suddenly picked up to where I was getting 4-5 eggs/day. The year old pullet finally started laying. That lasted for a month or so, now their production is slacking off again. I might get 4-5 eggs for a few days in a row, then several days with only 1-2.

Also, my hens seem to lay very late in the day. I often don't get any eggs at all until late afternoon, well after we eat lunch. That's not typical, is it? Does that indicate a problem of any sorts?

Any suggestions? I have a box of baby chicks in the house right now and if these hens don't start producing they're going to find themselves in the soup pot once these chicks get a bit older. :tongue_smilie:

I don't know what to tell you about the older chickens as this is only our 2nd year raising chickens but my chickens like to lay later in the day as well. It hasn't been a problem yet.

My chickens also fluctuate in how many eggs they lay a day. For example, on Sunday, I got 6 eggs, Monday, none, and 1 so far today.

We have 4 chickens from last year and are adding more this year, mainly so that our chickens can keep up with our egg consumption.

As far as I know, and I have had chickens for years and years, both behaviors are normal. Not all chicken breeds lay every single day, it is more an every so many hours kind of thing. So say they start the season off laying eggs at 6 am, well that time will slowly creep later and later, or earlier and earlier based on breed. They also will all try to be on the same cycle together too. All that AND your chickens are older, so all bets can be off. Kind of funny how they are a lot like women in some ways. But everything sounds fine.

I'm impressed you are getting 4-5 eggs on any days! Our hens used to be great layers but I'm only getting about 1 egg/chicken/week from our 2+ yr olds. We have some pullets (hatched in October) and some chicks (hatched in February ) so it's to the crock pot for our older hens.

If they are a high-output breed, they wear out sooner, so 3 years is getting a little past it - if they are a lower-output breed, they should last longer, and 3 is not too old by any means. But I wouldn't expect any 3yo to lay an egg a day. I would say 3 eggs a week would be normal. Your young hen should be at her maximum output right now, and laying around 5 a week (depending on breed type). So with your 5 older, and 1 younger, I would expect to get around 20 eggs a week. I find it easier to think in terms of eggs per week than per day.

If I read your post right, it seems you're getting 4-5 eggs for several days (8-10eggs), then 1-2 for another several days (2-4), then presumably 4-5 again for several days? (8-10 again), that would put you at 18-24 eggs per week (If I've understood it correctly). If this is the case, I'd say it's a pretty good rate of production.

It's strange that your young one didn't lay for such a long time, but otherwise your egg count seems OK to me.:)

Edited by Isabella