Menu

Why isn't this working??

Ruthie in MS

My 2nd grader (7 y/o) who has a love and fascination for all kids of seemingly useless knowledge is not grasping history or science.

We are using Adventures in MFW. It's been going great up until a couple/few weeks ago. We are in week 20 and having problems. When I read from the Story of US" textbook and ask her to narrate it back..... I get NOTHING. But when I read the read alouds or do our own version of the state study she has a blast and remembers everything.

For science we are using Exploring Creation with Astronomy. It started out really well but then now we are only on week 6 and it's the same thing..... blank stares and no retention of information. Both of my dc (ages 5 and 7) love the notebooking and hands-on stuff but when it comes to the reading.... they seems to be in la-la land.

I really need some advice. I don't mind ditching the history in favor of living books and hands-on fun. I'm not so sure about science. We've just started it and I spent alot of money (in my standards) on the textbook and both student notebooks. They are interested in the topic but maybe not so much the textbook. It's really long and wordy. Should we take a break and use something else AND THEN come back to it??

I need your advice, ladies. HELP!!! History and science have become a chore.

hmmm..

with Story of the US.... try a little different approach than with "read alouds" (which are novels.)

*you read ahead for those 2 or 3 pages. Prepare in your mind quick Who/What/When/Where questions. "who is this about? What is one big thing you remember from his life?

that kind of stuff.

would using objects for props help? I like to do that with my middle child when reading long sections of the Old Testament together. We'll pick up coloring pencils, or coins. and that way we can tell the story with those as I read.

For Astronomy (and any book really): it is more than ok to teach your child how to look back in the book for the answers, and how to recall facts from the reading. If you stop after very short sections and help her state the main idea - that is enough at this age.

then enjoy the projects in Astronomy.

for the ages they are... being in la la land is normal. It's easy with a novel to get the big picture of a story. With fact filled books -even "living book" style, you have to learn how to grab a detail, or give them permission to look back for something. Go in slower sections. and sometimes as the Teacher you do the "narration" first and teach the information and ask your child to tell you back after that 2nd time.

it's a different listening process.

-crystal

It may be that they are more visual learners. I might do some narration to help their auditory abilities, but I wouldn't spend science or history time doing that. I'd make history and science more visual or hands-on for now while their auditory skills develop. My son is a visual learner and listening to books read aloud isn't easy for him. It is even more difficult if the information isn't interesting to him. I put my own science and history studies together and use a lot of DVDs, activities, and books with some pictures. The science curriculum doesn't have to be a waste of money. You can still use it later on.

My son is like this. I do read through the same Astronomy a little at a time (I didn't add to it beyond reading, he's only K) but that is in combination with a side, "non-school" interest we've taken in star gazing. For the most part, he takes care of science by himself with only a little help from me. For instance, he reads a lot on birds, insects and reptiles and chews my ear off about them when he's not reading. I figure, why fight it. Why battle over something he's not interested in and won't remember when he could be filling himself with all kinds of information he loves and so does remember. I throw in a new topic now and then to see if he bites but besides that, I let him lead in science. I will probably do the Astronomy book more seriously at a later time. You said your 2nd grader has a love for all kinds of knowledge - does that include something you could encourage her to run with for science?

For history, I've found it really depends on the source. There are certain books DS takes little interest in and there are those he totally locks into. My short experience with a history textbook wasn't the most fruitful. DS definitely prefers history as a story, preferably not written down to him, also. A living book approach sounds like a great idea.

Sounds like maybe those books are just a bit above her head? They're both commonly used for older children (late elementary, early middle school), so I wouldn't be concerned if she didn't "get" them. (I haven't read the History of US books, but I do have the Astronomy book... it's long winded... my 7 year old only gets it because he's read it himself a time or two. :tongue_smilie:)

I ask questions and add commentary throughout readings that are longer than a paragraph. Sometimes the kids will draw a picture about what we are learning. Sometimes I will pause to open up an image online to add a visual component. Tying the reading back to something we have learned at another time also helps. These are all steps I usually take during the reading, not at the end of a chapter.

Wow. Thanks, ladies. I was wondering if I was expecting too much of her. I just don't like wasting my time. I may end up shelving the science for a while and using more living books and videos. I'm certainly learning that interest-led learning pays off.

I also do think that she's either not properly prepared or "wired" for narration or it could simply be that she's just not interested in the topic....who knows. Either way, there will be alot of tweaking involved in the future.

We'll try it and see what happens. Thanks so much!!! I knew I could count on you ladies.

One thing I do with Apologia is to slow it way down. Much more than what the suggested lesson plans say. It takes us three weeks to cover one chapter. I have noticed that dd8 pays better attention this way and remembers a lot more.

ETA: We also add in living books and videos for each chapter as well and spread it out over the three weeks.

It's probably the text. We have and enjoy those books, but 7 is a bit young for them IMO. It's not that the reading level is too difficult for them to understand when spoken, it's the writing style that assumes the interest is already there. That age does best with something that grabs their attention right off the bat. Maybe try A Child's Story of America instead?