Menu

Puberty in low-functioning girls

I'm not comfortable discussing this publicly. My daughter is low-functioning, but considered bright and able to learn things, especially in regards to routines. Does anyone else here have a disabled child and had to teach them about how to take care of their personal hygiene during their periods? (Changing pads, etc). If so, would you please private message me (or post publicly if you'd like, but I'll probably reply privately).

My 16dd has a low IQ but is high functioning for her tested IQ. She does surprisingly well with this whole thing. She is tiny so I found her the Always Slender Petite pads. She she goes to the bathroom every 3-4 hours I just told her to change her pad each time she went. She might go through a few extra with this method but that is OK with me.

We spoke with our doctor and there are several medical options available if you want to go this route. From the regular birth control pill which would make her cycles lighter and very predictable to the Seasonale--every 3 month pill to shots to prevent it totally.

I know one mom that chose to just do the shots and her daughter has never had a cycle after the first 1. It was just too traumatic for her daughter. Since my daughter handles it OK, we decided not to do anything medically at this point.

i dread this with my younger dd as well.

my older dd, who doesnt have the same issues as younger dd had enough struggles as it is! she ended up doing a round of borth control pills for a totally different reason and i swear since the day she started that one dose, she was never the same child. :glare:

i can see this , even just the fact that she is growing and cant understand why u need to keep things covered in clothing (like your bra!) is enough of a struggle for her, i cant imagine for when she starts, which if she is at all like her sister, should be very very soon from the looks of it. :001_huh:

:grouphug:

I think a picture schedule might be nice but not sure about posting it with a 13 and 21 yo male in the house. I think they would be pretty uncomfortable with that! Maybe a folder or something smaller...

I'd go ahead and post the schedule if you think it will assist her with managing her periods. Surely your dd's need for help with basic self care outweighs whatever mild discomfort the young men in the house might feel? (And getting over their squeamishness about menstruation will be a good thing if they ever have wives or daughters who need a bit of sympathy at that time of the month.)

I'd go ahead and post the schedule if you think it will assist her with managing her periods. Surely your dd's need for help with basic self care outweighs whatever mild discomfort the young men in the house might feel? (And getting over their squeamishness about menstruation will be a good thing if they ever have wives or daughters who need a bit of sympathy at that time of the month.)

I sort of agree, unless the young men have friends that visit the house often and use the bathroom....That might be embarrassing for the dd, the ds, *and* the friends.

Thank you for all the suggestions. :) We have thought about a picture schedule (and no sons here, although I have two younger daughters) and will probably do that to help her. Currently, we take care of dressing her, so we're able to keep up with deodorant, bras, etc.

Our neurologist has stressed that birth control will be important for our dd due to her being at a high risk for assault. He said he has unfortunately seen too many girls like our daughter become pregnant and parents who are left to make very hard decisions. We would definitely use a shot rather than a pill.

Our main concern is whether her birth control will interact with her other medications. I'm trying to work on adjusting her medication now and we have an appointment in late June with a ped gyno.

Our neurologist has stressed that birth control will be important for our dd due to her being at a high risk for assault. He said he has unfortunately seen too many girls like our daughter become pregnant and parents who are left to make very hard decisions. We would definitely use a shot rather than a pill.

You might be interested in reading about a recent study by the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center about the risks of the shot for young women.

http://www.fhcrc.org/content/public/en/news/releases/2012/04/dmpa-breast-cancer-risk-chris-li.html

I was rather shocked at how quickly our pediatrician suggested BC pills, but it was more along the lines of not having to deal with the monthly routine when there are sensory issues and fine motor deficits involved.

I have to say that learning to deal with the monthly routine hasn't been as difficult as I had anticipated. If you're looking for actual product recommendations, let me know.

This is all just so hard to figure out the best thing to do, when to do it, etc.

One reason we opted not to do the birth control pills (dd takes daily meds so that would not be an issue) is that she is on seizure meds and the pill can affect the blood levels of that med. We could adjust but then when she went off it for the 7 days every month or every 3 months, etc. we would be playing with the blood levels and she is very sensitive to blood levels (even getting generic meds instead of name brand landed her in ER).

I know that she will be at higher risk for assult as she gets older which is why we then might consider the Gardisil shot and/or other additional things.