Menu

Full scholarships for chess team

The entire chess team, and their coach, is leaving Texas Tech and moving to Webster University, and each player will be given a full scholarship. The coach, when 15 years old, was the best female chess player in the world. Just nice to see more of an "academic" pursuit getting the kind of perks normally reserved for sports teams. Pretty awesome!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/entire-national-championship-chess-team-bolts-for-new-university?urn=top,wp394

Whooo hoooo! I am so glad. We love chess here and there is NO promotion of it. We are trying to start chess clubs amongst the 4-H'ers.

It is good to hear that there is support for these types of pursuits. We have a competitive rocketry team and they've earned a chance to compete at the national finals. We have been very, very worried about raising the funds for them to go because in this area, sports and agricultural groups are everything and the academic groups usually get NO support. However, since dh and I have taken over the youth sciences for 4-H and have been promoting science in the schools (along with chess and math), it seems that just maybe the pendulum is swinging back to a healthier middle. The kids have only been officially fundraising for one week and already they have 50% of the cost to go to nationals raised. We seem to be getting a lot of community interest and there is a benefit dinner for the team has being organized. We are thrilled! This is the kind of community in which the elementary art and music teachers have been let go, band now doesn't even start until 7th grade so they can get away with having only one band director, and there is no choir before 9th grade -no art until 9th grade and the high school art teacher thinks she's going to be axed soon. Yet, the sports budget was upped 20%. :001_huh: So, honestly we thought we'd have trouble. Thankfully, it's going super well.

Thanks for posting. It warms my heart to here that other places are supporting a wider diversity of options for students.

Faith

Whooo hoooo! I am so glad. We love chess here and there is NO promotion of it. We are trying to start chess clubs amongst the 4-H'ers.

It is good to hear that there is support for these types of pursuits. We have a competitive rocketry team and they've earned a chance to compete at the national finals. We have been very, very worried about raising the funds for them to go because in this area, sports and agricultural groups are everything and the academic groups usually get NO support. However, since dh and I have taken over the youth sciences for 4-H and have been promoting science in the schools (along with chess and math), it seems that just maybe the pendulum is swinging back to a healthier middle. The kids have only been officially fundraising for one week and already they have 50% of the cost to go to nationals raised. We seem to be getting a lot of community interest and there is a benefit dinner for the team has being organized. We are thrilled! This is the kind of community in which the elementary art and music teachers have been let go, band now doesn't even start until 7th grade so they can get away with having only one band director, and there is no choir before 9th grade -no art until 9th grade and the high school art teacher thinks she's going to be axed soon. Yet, the sports budget was upped 20%. :001_huh: So, honestly we thought we'd have trouble. Thankfully, it's going super well.

Thanks for posting. It warms my heart to here that other places are supporting a wider diversity of options for students.

Faith

It sounds like you and your husband are really making a difference. :)

Keep up the good work!!!!

That's really interesting. I had no idea "St. Louis today is the center of chess in America." Amazing that all of the students could work together to make that decision.

:001_huh: Seattle is known for it's coffee, but that doesn't mean there isn't an awesome coffee shop or two on the east coast.

I think the coach's comment has to do with the chess center and the top US chess player there. The World Chess Hall of Fame is also there.

http://saintlouischessclub.org/

Edited by Teachin'Mine

As the mom of our 2012 state scholastic chess champ (for his division) this year, I enjoy hearing of chess success in this country. Often when he goes to local tournaments outside of school the majority of the other kids there are sons and daughters of immigrants. There's nothing bad about the immigrant part - I just wish more folks in our country would also enjoy the game.

But neither of my two older guys picked their colleges based upon chess. Oldest has essentially given up the game now as his school doesn't even have it and he couldn't find enough interest to start a club there. Middle will be on the chess club at UR - they compete against local schools/colleges for fun, but not intercollegiately for competition. Since we don't get out to major tournaments, I'm doubtful mine would have the ratings to be chess scholarship material anyway. Nonetheless, I'm glad to see some places do promote it overall! ;)

Due to budget cuts, only 4 schools in our district are keeping chess and the southern part of our region already disbanded totally. There won't be much in competition around here in the future. :001_huh:

Due to budget cuts, only 4 schools in our district are keeping chess and the southern part of our region already disbanded totally. There won't be much in competition around here in the future. :001_huh:

:toetap05: I understand that budget cuts are necessary. I just hope these are not like the ones in our district - bye bye 1/2 the music department, all of the art, debate, and math club, but sports received a 20% increase.

Faith

I support chess and my kids compete - I even know one that went to Texas Tech on a chess scholarship. However, I'm not sure how I feel about moving the entire team from Tx Tech to Webster U. in St. Louis. I assume that part of the college experience is more than chess - like other academic persuits.

As the mom of our 2012 state scholastic chess champ (for his division) this year, I enjoy hearing of chess success in this country. Often when he goes to local tournaments outside of school the majority of the other kids there are sons and daughters of immigrants. There's nothing bad about the immigrant part - I just wish more folks in our country would also enjoy the game.

But neither of my two older guys picked their colleges based upon chess. Oldest has essentially given up the game now as his school doesn't even have it and he couldn't find enough interest to start a club there. Middle will be on the chess club at UR - they compete against local schools/colleges for fun, but not intercollegiately for competition. Since we don't get out to major tournaments, I'm doubtful mine would have the ratings to be chess scholarship material anyway. Nonetheless, I'm glad to see some places do promote it overall! ;)

Cut backs on things like chess clubs are frustrating as I can't imagine that it really costs that much to keep one going, and the benefits far outweigh the costs.

:toetap05: I understand that budget cuts are necessary. I just hope these are not like the ones in our district - bye bye 1/2 the music department, all of the art, debate, and math club, but sports received a 20% increase.

Faith

I remember the same kinds of cutbacks in the 70's. Things haven't changed. :glare:

I support chess and my kids compete - I even know one that went to Texas Tech on a chess scholarship. However, I'm not sure how I feel about moving the entire team from Tx Tech to Webster U. in St. Louis. I assume that part of the college experience is more than chess - like other academic persuits.

It would be interesting to know about what the coach wanted that Texas Tech wasn't giving her and why she decided to leave, but the article doesn't go into that. I'm not familiar with either school, so I have no idea how the academics compare. I'm guessing that academics are very important to these students.

:iagree:

Ironically I'm guessing this sort of thing can not happen with college sports which many people think are rife with this sort of activity.

It would be interesting to know about what the coach wanted that Texas Tech wasn't giving her and why she decided to leave' date=' but the article doesn't go into that. I'm not familiar with either school, so I have no idea how the academics compare. I'm guessing that academics are very important to these students.[/quote']

No, from what I understand the students, most of whom were recruited from places like Azerbaijan and other foreign locales, care about CHESS. And little else other than chess.

Unfortunately Susan Polgar, who (along with her sisters) should be an inspiration to many—and especially female chess players—has (along with her husband) been involved in some pretty scandalous and tawdry practices that ended with them being thrown out of the United States Chess Federation.

The more you know the less good it is.

Bill

No, from what I understand the students, most of whom were recruited from places like Azerbaijan and other foreign locales, care about CHESS. And little else other than chess.

Unfortunately Susan Polgar, who (along with her sisters) should be an inspiration to many—and especially female chess players—has (along with her husband) been involved in some pretty scandalous and tawdry practices that ended with them being thrown out of the United States Chess Federation.

Bill

Ok, middle son definitely recognized the name(s) - and filled me in - and is going to be finding out what they did. He was surprised to hear they'd been kicked out. You've sparked curiosity at our house. He's guessing it had to do with fixed draws? That's a pure guess until he checks into it later today.

Bill

Thanks for the heads up. I have no problem with the chess team members being recruited from other countries. Many colleges try to get a diverse student population and attracting top athletes or students who can bring something to the school is often done.

Sounds like it was very much a financial move.

That's the one my guy showed me too. ;)

It's kind of sad...

Yes, it is sad.

One of the things I've liked about chess and the competitions, is that there's usually a higher level of sportsmanship among the players. There are always exceptions, but as a general rule ... and what they did just goes so far in the other direction. Winning isn't the only thing.

For those who are interested there is a very interesting documentary on Susan Polgar and her father Lazlo Polgar called "My Brilliant Brain:Make Me a Genius" that one can find on various sources online (free).

Her father was convinced he could raise a genius (through nurture) and deliberately sought out a wife who shared his vision. He raised Susan and her two sisters as proof of his theory and all three became chess masters.

The documentary does not get into the scandals.

Bill

Polgar was homeschooled with her two sisters. Her father was a teacher and ran an "experiment" with his girls-- he believed geniuses were made, not born. He was basically a tiger dad-- no TV, play dates, the only "fun" allowed was chess.

Polgar is rumored to have beaten bobby fischer in a private game... he was no longer in his prime of course. I believe she's also beaten Kasparov.

Just googled the article:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200506/the-grandmaster-experiment

fascinating read!

Yes, all his daughters were raised to prove his hypothesis that concentrating on one area, from a very early age, can produce a genius in that area of study. I believe she was already winning competitively at age 4.

From Wikipedia she holds this record:

"In July 2005, Polgar gave a large simultaneous exhibition in Palm Beach, Florida, breaking four world records: the largest number of simultaneous games played (326, with 309 won, 14 drawn, and 3 lost); consecutive games played (1,131); highest number of games won (1,112); and highest percentage of wins (96.93 %).[16]

Very impressive.

Some continuing education in ethics is needed.