Menu

Testing at end of 4th grade?

My son is in 4th grade. Our second year of hs wraps in June. I'd like to test to get a handle on his achievement. He's a bright kid, but I'm looking for some real numbers and feedback. So...what kind of test do you suggest as we close 4th grade? Since we're testing at the end of his 4th grade year, should I still choose a 4th grade level test or a 5th grade level? I was thinking of the ITBS. Thoughts?

We tested at current grade level using the stanford achievement test that the private schools here use. I found it to be spot on with my dd. her weakness is math, and that was the only area she was just below average on.

I was looking for something other than the Stanford since, per BJUpress you need certification. And I didn't want to spend the $20ish and time to do that. I can admin the ITBS since I have a college degree (and read the BJUpress waiver.) Anyone else?

tjlufkin - did you do it at grade level at the end of that grade level like I'm considering doing?

I'm just not clear if ITBS is meant to be given at grade level at start or end of the grade. Thanks!

He is at the end of grade 4 so I gave him the grade 4 test. It tests subject matter that has been covered, not subject matter that will be covered next year so you give the test for the year they are completing. Does that make sense?

We use the Hewitt PASS. It covers only reading, language arts, and math, with a placement test for each section. It is untimed, which works well for my kids who would get anxious looking at the clock instead of focusing on the test. It gives results based on comparisons to both homeschoolers and public school norms. The results come back with all of the prior years' test scores for easy comparison. There is no special degree or training needed to administer it at home (just read the directions).

We typically use the CAT and we use the TerraNova, which is the one that was normed most recently.

However, I did give DS8 the ITBS last year and went thru brewertesting.com and I did not have to show proof of my college diploma. I had to indicate that I had one (check a box), but did not have to send anything in. Just wanted to throw that out as an option. They sent a detailed report with his results, as well. And, yes, you would test him as end of 4th grade.