Menu

make ahead freezer lunches

Ideas for lunch food that can be frozen and reheated later? I want to use this week off to get ahead. So far on my list-

-hot pockets (pizza dough rolled thin, fillings, bake, cool, wrap in foil, freeze, reheat in microwave for 2 minutes.) Dozens of recipes online for this.

That's such a great idea! The only thing that comes to mind right away would be burritos. Ooh, or soup in little individual containers. OR- freeze the soup in little containers, then pop them out and put them in a bag, (like with baby food frozen in ice cube trays) so your containers aren't tied up in the freezer.

Here are the burritos I literally live on during busy hs weeks:

Make Refried Beans without the Refry in your crock pot.

Make taco seasoned hamburger.

Mix the beans and meat together in whatever ratio you like. I prefer about 50/50, but you can do whatever. The reason I mix them is so that I don't end up with extra of one or the other. :-)

Wrap this mixture and some cheese in a tortilla, hold it together in foil, freeze in a freezer bag. Warm in microwave. Yum!

soup

chili

nachos - not really a freeze ahead, except that you can make and freeze the beans. But it goes together in minutes, so it's a quick lunch.

Stuffed potatoes - bake your potatoes, then remove the top and all the insides, keeping the skin intact. Mix the cooked potato with milk and butter, just like you would make mashed potatoes, but it can still be a bit lumpy. Then add whatever you like. I usually add a bit of sour cream, pieces of cooked bacon, and shredded cheese. Then stuff the mixture back into the potato skins, mounded. Then freeze them, not touching, on cookie sheets. Once they are frozen, you can put them all into Ziploc bags. These make great quick lunches. Just thaw and heat.

Enchiladas - these freeze well, and heat up quickly.

Ds loves Uncrustables, so we make our own. We use a large cookie cutter to cut out bread circles, put the pb & j inside with a small gap around the edge, moisten the edge, and use a wide rimmed glass to press it closed. Then we freeze a big bag, and he can take one out when he wants it. He likes to eat them frozen.

There are lots of casseroles that you can cool, cut into squares and then freeze in individual portions. Twice baked potatoes also freeze well. Some site had a tutorial on freezing stuff like that, was it Pioneer Woman or Hillbilly Housewife?

Crista, Do you make your own tortillas? I bought a low cost press, but was disappointed at how small they were.

You only use a press for making corn tortillas, not flour tortillas. Check the homesick Texan blog, she has decent tortilla recipes.

Crista, Do you make your own tortillas? I bought a low cost press, but was disappointed at how small they were.

Thanks for crockpot beans link. We eat a lot of refried beans here.

No, I have to admit I wimp out and buy them. I do try to get whole wheat, though, if that makes a difference.

meatballs

pierogies/ravioli-type stuff

egg rolls - but if you don't normally eat these, stuff w/something familiar and savory (pot pie type stuff)

potstickers/shumai

shredded meats - all kinds and varieties to add to noodle or rice dishes

chicken thighs - then add some tomato sauce and cheese when warming to make a parmesan-type meal

hamburger patties

rice and beans