Menu

I love WRTR already!

HSinNH

We have only been using it for four days, but already I am in love! Even I have learned many new things. Did you know that silent "e" has FIVE jobs...not just the one I learned in PS?!?!

Does the joy wear off or will I love it for a long time? :blush:

I've been doing Spalding since 1984 (Spalding is the method, WRTR is the manual). So, no, it doesn't wear off. :D

The five reasons for silent e is one of my favorite Spalding things. I just cringe when people try to teach their dc the when-two-vowels-go-walking-the-first-one-does-the-talking fake rule, lol

OK, I don't know much about Spalding (except I do know that Ellie is the go-to person for questions:)). Does anyone know why the LOE has more reasons for silent e than the WRTR does? Sorry if this has been asked before. I am trying to decide between programs and find it overwhelming.

:iagree:

This is great to hear!! We'll be getting started this summer/fall--I'm very excited. We had parent-teacher conferences last week; they use Spalding at our children's school (er...am I saying that right Ellie ["use Spalding"]? I know there's a correct way to reference it and am not sure I ever do it right!)...anyway, our kg son's teacher primed us a little on next year and we found it so fascinating! (I'll be starting our four/almost five year old as well!)

From the LoE web site:

Nine Reasons for a Silent Final E including Example Words:-

1. The vowels sound changes because of the E – bake

2. English words do not end in V or U – above, glue

3. The C says /s/ and the G says /j/ because of the E – age, ace

4. Every syllable must have a vowel – babble

5. To keep singular words that end in S from looking plural – house, cause

6. To make the word look bigger – are, awe, bye

7. To make TH say its voiced sound – bathe, clothe

8. To distinguish homophones – browse, ore

9. Unseen reason – come, some, done, were

We have only been using it for four days, but already I am in love! Even I have learned many new things. Did you know that silent "e" has FIVE jobs...not just the one I learned in PS?!?!

Does the joy wear off or will I love it for a long time? :blush:

A lot of moms drop it, who have normal/gifted children that are good natural spellers, to free up more time to devote to literature and content. Moms with 2E and LD children who prefer to concentrate on the basics, seem to stick with it longer.

It's a time consuming curriculum. Ad some moms want something more open and go, especially if they are trying to do integrated language arts.

Some moms jump ship for the spin offs, for various reasons.

This is great to hear!! We'll be getting started this summer/fall--I'm very excited. We had parent-teacher conferences last week; they use Spalding at our children's school (er...am I saying that right Ellie ["use Spalding"]? I know there's a correct way to reference it and am not sure I ever do it right!)...anyway, our kg son's teacher primed us a little on next year and we found it so fascinating! (I'll be starting our four/almost five year old as well!)

The school does Spalding, or it teaches Spalding. Kudos to the administrators for choosing the best, most effective spelling/reading method there is. :thumbup: