Menu

Simply Charlotte Mason - Stories of the Nations/America

Roxy Roller

They looked interesting for sure. I read a bit of the sample from the Stories of the Nations book and liked what I read of it. I moved on to the Stories of America and didn't go past the first chapter.

I read the chapter on Christopher Columbus and it describes how the "simple natives" bowed down to them because the natives thought they were gods. I didn't read past that but I'd be wary of how they refer to natives as things develop further.

I could be "overly sensitive" seeing as how my husband is Native American and so are my children but that alone would put me off this book and the others.

*Edited to add: I would expect to see this in much older histories (and wouldn't use those either) but this was JUST written, correct? With more to be released soon?

I plan on using several resources for American history to get various points of view. My daughter knows that we have Cherokee and Algonquin ancestors. I really like the poetry in this book., but if it has a definite providential/European slant., I won't use it. It is a fact that some tribal leaders did mistake European explorers as gods when they first came in contact.

Edited by leeannpal

Well I haven't read SOTW 3 or 4, but we read both SCM's Stories of the Nations and Stories of America at the beginning of this year. I read a chapter a day out loud to my 7th grader and then we did some discussion or I had her do a narration. We both enjoyed it. I plan on getting the next volumes when they are available.

How (or how much) did SCM adapt these?

I always find something slightly annoying about the tone of books like these, I must confess, but I got an email about them recently and looked at a sample online before realizing (when I got to the end) that it was a rewrite of an old book.

I have bought all of this books to use as supplements to our American History study for next school year. I bought the Nations ones too for future use. I haven't read any of the stories yet, but I'm usually happy with SCM, so I didn't preview it much before buying them. I thought they would be nice to have on hand for extra reading.

• 2 months later...