Menu

Contests/exams/challenges for 7-8 yr old?

DD is classified as a 3rd grader for next school year (because she started school officially at age 4), and LOVES academic competitions and challenges-the World Education games online, Spelling bee, science fair, you name it, she gets into it-and one of the big things she seems to get out of it most is the feeling that there are other kids like me out there who are smart and like this kind of thing. In many respects, losing is as good as winning to her. She gets frustrated with the ones done by our local homeschool group where she's lumped in with K-3rd graders for the most part, because that's NOT challenging, and our local coordinators do tend to set age/grade ranges pretty tightly.

So, I'm wondering-what other academic challenges can I give her? I'd kind of like to simply give her a list of opportunities and let her pick which ones she would like to work towards-and if half of her "School" time next year is preparing for contests, that's fine (she's using middle school and up materials next year across the board, but I'm not willing to start giving her high school credit until she's likely to actually be graduating within 4 years-so if this middle stage lasts a few extra years while she prepares for spelling bee, math olympiad, or so on, I'm MORE than fine with that).

Thanks!

I'm thinking of things like Odyssey of the Mind, First Lego League, Chess clubs or competitions and even 4H if you can find a science and tech club. I know my school district had lots of these kinds of activities growing up. Have you looked for Math Circles in your area? There aren't any close to us, but there might be near you. Also, what about applied skills like in building, crafting, or sewing? Drafting and draping uses a ton of spatial and mathematical skills as well as drawing, and could take years to learn all the techniques and design. Can she design a project and build it or sew it and enter a county fair or something? Does she have hobbies or passions? If you can get her into a hobby, those can last years and take up plenty of time with endless perfecting of techniques, classes, etc.

Edited by FairProspects

If you are looking for things she can do at home look at the National Mythology Exam and Nation Latin Exams. They don't have age restrictions and are open to homeschoolers. If you wanted to make it a more social thing you could organize a mythology class or a group of kids to prepare together.

Have you looked for Math Circles in your area?

DD7 loves Math Circle. They cover some really interesting&challenging math ideas, and DD loves getting together with other kids who actually enjoy math. Her circle is not involved with math competitions, but some other circles are competition focused. The AoPS website lists a bunch of math contests, but I don't remember the age ranges.

If your child plays an instrument, the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) have practical and theory exams that can start at any age and go through university entrance. They are very challenging but incremental in nature, and encourage a broad range of skills from aural to sight reading to performance with accompaniment etc. The exams are available world wide. The program is excellent!

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma