Menu

Need a list of Ancient history textbooks

Who would've thought that my child would prefer a textbook for history (adding historical fiction, of course!)??? But that seems to be the verdict after seeing some different options yesterday.

Can you list out, and give your opinions on, every ancient history text you can think of? We've seen Streams of Civilization. I also saw that BJU has a new one coming out this summer, and she LOVES her BJU science book, so that's a possibility. It's listed for 6th grade though, and she will be in 7th, but it might still work. I know about K12 Human Odyssey as well.

TIA!! I intend to make a decision about our spine by the end of the week. Or else. :D

I'm in a similar boat, but for high school. We did use Streams vol 1 as a supplement when we did ancients a few years ago. It should be good for 7th. I do plan on using BJU World for high school, but, like you, I'm going to heavily suppliment it with literature.

Have you considered MOH vol 1? It is a spine, but more "conversational" than a textbook.

The Geneveve Foster books? I'm thinking Augustus Ceasars World. Take a peak at BF's ancient lit pack and see if any of that appeals to you.

I did not use SOTW vol 1 (used MOH instead), but I did use vol 4 for my 7th grader (heavily supplement but a really fun study).

Abeka has an interesting World HIstory text. I used it with my oldest when she was in 6th. I think it is for 5th, but I wonder if you could adapt it for 7th?

I believe Omnibus can be used in jr.high. I've not used Veritas Press Omnibus but they are supposed to have a nice history.

Notgrass World for high school but at a slower pace for a 7th grader?

my son really likes the Oxford 'World in Ancient Times" series. He also likes the Medieval World series. Today he was actually pouting because there won't be oxford books for next year. Weird kid.

Check your local library, our had quite a few. I also pick them up used from Amazon.

I'm in a similar boat, but for high school. We did use Streams vol 1 as a supplement when we did ancients a few years ago. It should be good for 7th. I do plan on using BJU World for high school, but, like you, I'm going to heavily suppliment it with literature.

Have you considered MOH vol 1? It is a spine, but more "conversational" than a textbook.

The Geneveve Foster books? I'm thinking Augustus Ceasars World. Take a peak at BF's ancient lit pack and see if any of that appeals to you.

I did not use SOTW vol 1 (used MOH instead), but I did use vol 4 for my 7th grader (heavily supplement but a really fun study).

Abeka has an interesting World HIstory text. I used it with my oldest when she was in 6th. I think it is for 5th, but I wonder if you could adapt it for 7th?

I believe Omnibus can be used in jr.high. I've not used Veritas Press Omnibus but they are supposed to have a nice history.

Notgrass World for high school but at a slower pace for a 7th grader?

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I had Anna look at the samples of MOH and she saw Story of Mankind in person, but she just does not like the narrative style. She wants a textbooks. She has always been a "just the facts, thank you very much" kind of kid. She likes her fun reading to be in the form of historical fiction. At least she knows what she wants. :D

I like the Foster books and plan to use them as extra reading. I'll look at BF's lists. I'm also looking at Greenleaf's lists just for extra reading. But I already have a list a mile long of extras, lol.

I did look at Omnibus, but I don't think it's right for us.

I wish I knew more about the new BJU book.

Again, thank you!!

my son really likes the Oxford 'World in Ancient Times" series. He also likes the Medieval World series. Today he was actually pouting because there won't be oxford books for next year. Weird kid.

Check your local library, our had quite a few. I also pick them up used from Amazon.

My library has none of those. I looked for them before. :( I wish they weren't quite so expensive.

Have you looked at Glencoe? We like it.

Can you link it for me? Thanks!

My oldest is a "just the facts" type history text learner as well. We chose Alpha Omega LifePacs for her high school history and it is working well. She added some literature for WWII but other than that, she just likes the text. She also did not at all like the Foster books. She was moderately interested in the Notgrass books. But, youngest is more lit based and does not like the black and white "dry" look and feel of Notgrass. I'm going with BJU for her.

I think I can link some Glencoe info for you as I'm looking at it. This is the BN.com site. You can get it used there and at amazon: too.http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/glencoe-world-history-jackson-j-spielvogel/1100018423?ean=9780078735653&itm=3&usri=glencoe+world+history

This is the company site:

http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078607027/

I've been eyeing MP Dorothy Mills books.

http://www.memoriapress.com/descriptions/index_classical.htm

There's The Book of the Ancient World

The Book of the Ancient Greeks

The Book of the Ancient Romans

Would you use all three in one year?

My oldest is a "just the facts" type history text learner as well. We chose Alpha Omega LifePacs for her high school history and it is working well. She added some literature for WWII but other than that, she just likes the text. She also did not at all like the Foster books. She was moderately interested in the Notgrass books. But, youngest is more lit based and does not like the black and white "dry" look and feel of Notgrass. I'm going with BJU for her.

I think I can link some Glencoe info for you as I'm looking at it. This is the BN.com site. You can get it used there and at amazon: too.http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/glencoe-world-history-jackson-j-spielvogel/1100018423?ean=9780078735653&itm=3&usri=glencoe+world+history

This is the company site:

http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078607027/

Thank you!

I'm also looking at Glencoe but forgot to add that to the list. This looks like a wonderful text. What are you using with it? TM and student text or just student text?

Just the student text for now. We also have the CD that contains the full text plus that of all workbooks etc., but haven't cracked it open yet.

ETA: This is the edition we bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0078734606

There is a welter of different fairly recent printings, including micro-versions developed for different states. We picked this particular one because at the time we found a like-new copy for quite cheap, plus a new version of the CD for the identical version for an extra $30.

Edited by Iucounu

Man, I am so behind on all the new stuff!!! I didn't realize all the stuff BJU was updating. My dd watched a large chunk (like 1/4 of a year's worth) over several days when some MK's were visiting and doing their schoolwork. (They do it by subject and trade.) Anyways, she LOVED it. Like if I had bought it, she would have been a happy camper. The 7th grade (current, last year?) edition on dvd was just wonderful. So if she's drawn to it, there you go.

Man, I am so behind on all the new stuff!!! I didn't realize all the stuff BJU was updating. My dd watched a large chunk (like 1/4 of a year's worth) over several days when some MK's were visiting and doing their schoolwork. (They do it by subject and trade.) Anyways, she LOVED it. Like if I had bought it, she would have been a happy camper. The 7th grade (current, last year?) edition on dvd was just wonderful. So if she's drawn to it, there you go.

Thanks for letting me know that. Someone that I was pm'ing with mentioned that one of BJU's history texts she had seen a few years back was very anti-Catholic and anti-Jewish. Do you know if that has changed over the years? I don't know which specific level she was thinking about.

I'm bummed because BJU's new Heritage studies ancients textbook (the one we are looking at) doesn't release until 7/29. UGH! That sure wouldn't leave me much, if any, time to plan. :glare:

We'll probably just go with K12's Human Odyssey.

See I haven't looked at the BJU 6th grade. Isn't it the funky one that covers stuff and then sees it all recovered the next year in 7th? Check that. If she's going to be 7th by age, I'd do the 7th gr book. See some cs do a state history study one of those years and like that there's overlap and not much missed the year they skip.

I got the tm for I think one of the Spielvogel texts, I think HO. It's this HUGE thing that has these dbq questions Janice in NJ was talking about. It's in my pile of "when the right time comes" stuff.

See I haven't looked at the BJU 6th grade. Isn't it the funky one that covers stuff and then sees it all recovered the next year in 7th? Check that. If she's going to be 7th by age, I'd do the 7th gr book. See some cs do a state history study one of those years and like that there's overlap and not much missed the year they skip.

I got the tm for I think one of the Spielvogel texts, I think HO. It's this HUGE thing that has these dbq questions Janice in NJ was talking about. It's in my pile of "when the right time comes" stuff.

The 6th grade text is ancients, and the 7th grade is world history all the way up to the present.

ARGH! Why does this have to be so hard?

The 6th grade text is ancients, and the 7th grade is world history all the way up to the present.

ARGH! Why does this have to be so hard?

Look at their actual contents though. There's a lot of overlap. Our local cs skips one of those years to do state history.