Menu

Children's Table and chairs....which ones do I get?

Hi,

I am wanting a round table, or clover table and chairs for kids pre k to 3rd or 4th grade.

Some of them I look at are horribly expensive, could never do that. Does anyone have something like this, I think it is 48" round or clover, seats 4 etc...and ADJUSTS as they grow?

Know of any really good table and chairs that don't cost $500 or more? I guess if there are much cheaper ones...which are the best that won't fall apart in the first year.

Looking for a way to have my younger ones do school work where they can reach and have room for their math stuff etc...

Kim

We have a rectangular 30"x72" table with height-adjustable legs that cost ~200. It's very solid (compared to a cheaper standard melamine folding table from Staples), a good amount of space for my 4, and a great height for the little ones. I didn't consider a clover or round table because i felt it compromised on the amount of space each kid would have. Have you looked at Wayfair for options?

They also carry chairs that look reasonable. We have ones like the 14" school stack chairs.

I don't know of any cheap ones, but I was able to find one at a thrift store. They had just gotten it and didn't even have it priced yet. They ended up giving it to me for $20 for the 40 inch round table and 4 chairs. Yes the chairs are a horrible yellow color and the table needed a good cleaning but it was cheap and that thing is solid!

I love my table, but there is no way that I would spend $300+ on table and chairs set.

Oh...I wish I lived by a thrift store but I don't! My darling mother has actually offered to get us this, or I wouldn't even be asking....we use a little tikes table and chairs now but my 6 and 8 year old need some sort of table.

Also...do the 14" chairs fit 6 and 8 year olds.....for awhile?

Even though my mom has offered to help, still need to keep it as cheap as possible.

Kim

You might have luck checking out the listings at govdeals.com

They auction off used public school items and other gov't things and I've seen school tables before.

You can search by location so there may be schools downsizing near you. :)

In my small state there is a nice round folding lunch table w/8 chairs for $50 (still days left but no bids)

What state are you in? I could help look if you want.

*I've never purchased anything from the site since I only recently found out about it*

Edited by creativish

I have this table:

http://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-4-Foot-Utility-24-Inch-Granite/dp/B0002U3V8Q

That LOOKS like mine and the price is right. Mine adjust to 3 heights; children's, table, and counter. I've used it for YEARS indoor and out. Any art or science messes just wash or bleach off. It slides under the couch when not in use. When the kids were little, we used it as a coffee table for a few years. I sat on couch and the kids sat in kid chairs.

My 7 (nearly 8 yr old) is 60% in height for girls her age and her bare heel just barely touches the ground when she's sitting properly upright in the chair. Here's a chart I found online for chair size guidelines. HTH!

We have the Community Playthings 14" chairs and I'm anticipating them working for several more years. I have a very tall 5.75 yo and like the PP, there's lots of room. We have a round table from CP with adjustable legs in the schoolroom and we're planning to upgrade our kitchen table/chair set to a Community table as well. You simply cannot beat the quality. My mom has a CP that's 25+ years is and still looks new!

We :001_wub: CP! We have several of their shelves in our playroom and I adore their toys. A pretty interesting community and business too!

Thanks for all the info! We live in Kansas, by the way!

I don't see any tables at that site this time but there are a couple of chair lots in KS... ooh and lab equipment, microscopes, and a centrifuge?! :drool:

And I'd think 14" would be good... for a comparison, the average toilet seat is 14-16 inches (ahh the joys of researching for a toilet purchase!:lol: )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IKEA-Children-Mammut-Round-Table-Kids-Furniture-Green-/330712716356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d00039444

I have this table in blue and it's wonderful. I am not sure if IKEA sells it anymore, although last time I was there I remember seeing it, but I can't find it on their website. It also has matching chairs. I've had mine for nearly 5 years and it's held up well.

Hi,

Well...the Stokke might be a bit out of my league, looks like they are close to $200 each and I would need 3....

The ebay link table is not quite 19" high and I am needing to "start" at that height. I need a table around 24" high preferrably adjustable.

Thank you guys...I am checking it all out...ooh...forgot to look at one, heading there now!

Kim

Check out Discount School Supply and Early Childhood Manufacturers Direct. They have lots of good choices too for both tables and chairs and reasonable! The prices are slightly better at ECMD, but I like browsing at DDS better. :)

I've gotten sensory tables and a big supply cabinet through them, and been very pleased!

Hi,

The ebay link table is not quite 19" high and I am needing to "start" at that height. I need a table around 24" high preferrably adjustable.

Kim

My 8.5 yo still sits at the IKEA table we have. If you need it to go higher couldn't you just buy risers or prop it up on books or something?