Menu

Would you pay $1200 for AKC maltese or bichon frise?

We got a Maltese/Bichon from a rescue 2 years ago. He has not been a good dog. He gets along ok with the kids, but he has severe separation anxiety and refuses to tell us when he needs to go potty--he just poops and pees in the house unless we're fortunate enough to read his mind and send him out. Lately he's been pooping on our deck. :glare: We've tried rewarding him, taking him out way more frequently than necessary, etc. Nothing has worked for us yet. He also has bad teeth. I'm just telling you these things because my understanding is that both breeds can be difficult to train, have bad teeth, and are low energy dogs (which does have its advantages). Getting it as a puppy would probably be a different experience than trying to adopt a rescue, though.

I personally would not. I bought a Yorkie from a reputable breeder, after a ton of research, and he did not cost anywhere near that much. He meets all the breed standards so far (still a puppy), but he is just a pet for us. I don't regret what we spent on him (he was the girls' big Christmas present!), but I wouldn't spend $1200 on a dog.

No.

Even the highest purebreds out here for Malteses, ****zus etc are $500, but average is aorund $350. and i still WOULDN'T pay it.

Because....I have worked with Animal Welfare Leagues, Pounds, re-adoption places and to me over 85% of the dogs I have seen have been white and small (i.e. maltese, ****zu, bichons and any other breeds similar or crossbreeds there of) most of these were purebred, well bred dogs. This is in Aus, though, there is an overabudance of these breeds in Australia, so for me, I would hesitate against getting any, even from the pound. The only way to stop these breeders over-breeding and over-populating certain breeds is to not purchase them.

Seems everyone likes the white little fluffball puppy they buy, but soon grow bored of them. Then, when I rescued my mix breeds from people who did actually have "accidents" (as opposed to those who deliberately breed crossbreeds or don't care) I get purebred enthusiasts breathing down my neck for dare not letting my dogs go to the pound and be put down. I will take them seriously, when they stop over-breeding small, white dogs. :lol: And seriously, who in the average population is going to rescue a labrador x german shepherd x Rottweiler x kelpie if I don't? :D And shes a big ginormous licky sook!

ANYHOOO Gigantic insane rant aside :tongue_smilie: I always say to have a look around (2 months minimum browsing) first, if you are going to buy from a breeder, check there AKC registration (actually ring up the AKC, and make sure the person is legit) get (argh, giant fly couple landed on my heart, I think I may be dying :lol:, okay, waiting for heart attack to settle) get references from the lady for people you can actually go see whom have an adult one of her puppies (i.e. previously purchased off her and have had the puppy for at least a year or two).

If you can, I would suggest going to your local pound (ones that don't have a "no kill" policy should be first) and take a look around there. Rescue dogs are often insanely sweet and overjoyed at even the slightest attention :)

Oh ,and very important. Make sure you see "all" her property. You should be able to see the mom, the dad, and the surrounding land, and inside any iffy looking buildings. I have even come across a puppy mill in Australia (that is somehow counted as legal here, which has angered me to no end). Be wary of any "appointment necessary" places. If they require a few days just for you to come and chat, thats suspicious. If you have their address, if possible, view from a distance away before the alloted "appointment" so you can see the outer of it without any pretenses on their part.

I also usually do a google of the intended breeder to see if anything bad pops up.

Good luck with finding your new best friend! xxxx :grouphug:

Lol - I totally agree with this!! My first thought was "absolutely NOT!! For a DOG??" and then I thought a little more and realized... I would totally pay that for the right horse!

I also won't pay out over $30 for a pair of nicer work shoes, but I have a pair of Ariats that cost well over $100 and were worth every penny... :)

So, if this is what you want to spend your money on (and if you have the money available to spend, of course!), then I say go for it! :D

Oh how I love my Ariats :D. I have two pair, but I've had my paddock boots for 10 years now and even my daughter wears them. I've had my Fat Babies almost 7 or 8 years now...I know they were just out when I bought them, lol. So comfy!

We have a Bichone who is closing in on 2 years old, and although she is pure bred she had no papers which was why we only paid $300. Even that galled me, but I have severe allergy issues and this was the only dog...and I do mean ONLY dog I have ever held or cuddled and not immediately reacted to.

She has the sweetest temperament of any animal I have ever owned, hands down. She is a lover, a lap dog, a very, very good dog with children. She doesn't yip and is in fact silent most of the time. She honestly is more like a cat, as she enjoys high perches on the back of our couch, etc. Very funny little thing.

Like a couple of other posters, I will admit that she piddles often. We do have her trained, but she appears to be incontinent when she is excited, which is all the time. It also took about a year and a half to get her fully trained...which felt like forever. The thing is though, she is so sweet and loving that what would have really angered me in another dog is totally worth it to have her, she is just that wonderful.

She does not travel well in a vehicle, and vomits every single time...never had a car sick dog before!

Would I pay $1200? Man, that's a ton of cash! I would likely never have it, but now that we have owned her and I can finally have a pet again after years of being petless due to those allergies, I would honestly consider it. She is a lovely companion.

Cindy

No, but I have a maltese. My DH's xgf paid about that for her. She ended up "big for a maltese", DH's xgf got a teacup/purse designer dog and DH got custody of the maltese. :glare:

She's sweet, friendly, loyal, obedient, and doesn't shed. She does require regular grooming. She's an easy, family friendly dog to have.

No, I would find a rescue center that specializes in those breeds and adopt one.

This is what I had thought of doing, but found it to be an incredible amount of paperwork and the money part was crazy. I wouldn't go to a pet store and purchase one, but feel like I shouldn't have to pay for other's mistakes.... So, after rescuing dogs/cats and other animals my whole life, if I ever get another dog I will feel no guilt about purchasing a "properly" bred one.

:)

I would if the breeder was a good one and had done extensive testing of the parents for any inherited problems the breed can have. Such as in cocker spaniels (my favorites), eye testing and hip testing is a must. So I feel the price you pay for the puppy is not so much for the dog itself but for all the time, effort, care, and testing that went into making that puppy and making sure it is the best example of the breed health wise as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I would pay that much, and more. And we are doing just that. We'll bring home a standard poodle pup at the end of June. I won't say how much she costs, but it is more than the price being discussed by the op. It makes me a but sick to think about it,:tongue_smilie: but when we met several generations of these dogs at the breeder's home, we were sold. They are known all over the World for their high quality dogs. They have a 100% health guarantee, and the temperaments are wonderful. So, I feel that it will be worth it to have such a great family pet throughout my kid's growing up years.