Menu

Let's Talk About Health

Every couple of years, I realize my kids actually do need a "Health" curriculum. This year, I realized my kids have no clue when it comes to exercise and nutrients. In the past, I've used A Beka, but I'm wondering if there's something better out there for my oldest. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dorinda

Oh, and Abeka 7th grade is only about Sex and Dating:001_rolleyes:

Have you looked at Alpha Omega?? They have a Health Quest for grades 4-7, and I think you can do any of the formats (LifePac, SOS, or Monarch online). I don't remember all that it covers, but it'd be worth a look since AO products are 20% off in April. :)

(I was trying to decide between this and the Abeka Health for 4th grade next year, myself!!)

Excellent!

I'm off to check those out right now.

The only problem with A Beka 4th grade is it doesn't cover nutrition. It's actually a very good anatomy program. I used it when my dd was studying the human body alongside Considering God's Creation for science.

I am going between the Sonlight Science F which focuses on human body/health or the Intellego option. I tried the app and it is nice but it seems to classroom focused. I like the previous poster's idea of just getting a text online and then reading through it over time. I think I am going to look into that too:-)

Excellent!

The only problem with A Beka 4th grade is it doesn't cover nutrition. It's actually a very good anatomy program. I used it when my dd was studying the human body alongside Considering God's Creation for science.

We're planning to use Good Growth Guide by Schoolaid Health for 4th Grade. We used the 3rd grade this year; my ds surprised me by how much he likes it! They sell it here, but it's not published by R&S.

Dorinda, the A Beka 7th grade health doesn't have anything on s** and dating that I remember. We finished it last year. It was the usual comprehensive anatomy, hygiene, nutrition, etc.

The A Beka 8th grade so far is very good. It adds pathology and disease.

Excellent!

I hadn't realized that Abeka 4th didn't cover those things. I went and looked at their table of contents... it looks like they cover nutrition and exercise more heavily in the 3rd grade book, then shift topics for 4th.

This doesn't help with your older daughter, but... we may get both the 3rd and 4th grade books and do them in series, then just go lighter on other science for the year. I agree, these are important topics to hit!!

Excellent!

Good Growth Guide by Schoolaid Health for 4th Grade does cover nutrition, but it's "old school", like when I was in school (you know, the good old 4 food groups). I'm okay with that, since I don't like the current food pyramid. ;)

I hadn't realized that Abeka 4th didn't cover those things. I went and looked at their table of contents... it looks like they cover nutrition and exercise more heavily in the 3rd grade book, then shift topics for 4th.

This doesn't help with your older daughter, but... we may get both the 3rd and 4th grade books and do them in series, then just go lighter on other science for the year. I agree, these are important topics to hit!!

I looked at it again and I guess it does, but it's more dispersed throughout the book. They refer back to the nutrition chart at the beginning of the book frequently. Hmm, I think I'm going to try and get my hands on a 3rd grade book and see what I want to do.

Thanks!

Dorinda

So was the Abeka 7 actually GOOD? Just wondering. Dh was just suggesting I talk with her a bit more in that area. ;)

As far as nutrition, isn't there a Nutrition 101 homeschool course?

Elizabeth,

I don't know because I can't get my hands on one. I went to our used curriculum store yesterday and they only had the old 7th grade health books that were more like the other A Beka books. I did pick up the 3rd and 6th grade health books to work through,and I think we'll start Monday.

Who sells the Nutrition curriculum? I would be very interested in using it. I have a good friend who is a nutritionist that I want to teach a class when my girls are in highschool. We'll see if I can talk her into it in the next 6 years.;)

Blessings,

Dorinda

Excellent!

Abeka covers nutrition in 5th.