Menu

AAS or LOE for a child who cannot spell

I am currently using an Orton-Gillingham influenced reading curriculum with ds. He has made huge gains in reading and is now on grade level. However, spelling....yikes! He can spell simple CVC words, but really struggles with those "red" words (those that just can't be sounded out) and words with advanced phonograms. I would like to really attempt to focus on spelling over summer break. Is there any reason why one of these programs would be considered a better option for children who are struggling spellers? I have been reading the "Logic of English" and feel that it really makes sense to me. However, AAS has so many positive reviews on this forum and has been around longer. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I haven't looked at LoE, but AAS has been phenomenal for dd's spelling. Absolutely phenomenal. She spelled everything phonetically (and wrong) before AAS. Her spelling has improved SO much with AAS, and she applies the rules she learns to other words we haven't worked with. She's not generally a girl who can learn rules about things, but the way it's applied in AAS works so well for her.

The Essentials curriculum from LOE was specifically developed for kids ages 8 through adults who are either starting out or are in need of remediation. I know that the tiles are a big part of AAS, and everyone loves them, but one of the tenets of the O/G method (and the Spalding off-shoots like Phonics Road and LOE) is using *writing* (the kinesthetic action)-- along with hearing and saying the sounds of the phonograms--in order to cement the words in the students' heads.

I have decided to go with LOE with my 11 year old. It ends up being less than AAS in the long run and incorporates grammar.

I read a lot of comments that older kids don't like the tiles and having to put them away.

I'm the end, if it doesn't work out, I can resell Logic of English pretty easily and do AAS.

I know that the tiles are a big part of AAS, and everyone loves them, but one of the tenets of the O/G method (and the Spalding off-shoots like Phonics Road and LOE) is using *writing* (the kinesthetic action)-- along with hearing and saying the sounds of the phonograms--in order to cement the words in the students' heads.

That's actually a big part of AAS too though--it doesn't *just* have you use tiles, it uses both right from the beginning. (Students who don't want to use the tiles can do the work only in writing, but many kids benefit from using both the tiles and writing).

I am currently using an Orton-Gillingham influenced reading curriculum with ds. He has made huge gains in reading and is now on grade level. However, spelling....yikes! He can spell simple CVC words, but really struggles with those "red" words (those that just can't be sounded out) and words with advanced phonograms. I would like to really attempt to focus on spelling over summer break. Is there any reason why one of these programs would be considered a better option for children who are struggling spellers? I have been reading the "Logic of English" and feel that it really makes sense to me. However, AAS has so many positive reviews on this forum and has been around longer. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Wow, great work with your son! I haven't used LOE, but AAS has worked wonders for my kids both with reading and spelling. It reinforces all of the OG phonograms, and teaches the rules very incrementally (students master spelling with one pattern before another is introduced), covers over 2500 words, and has a built in review system (so we only spend time on what my kids need to review). I wrote more about our experiences on my blog. AAS has helped my kids learn how to analyze words and apply the best strategy for learning how to spell each word too.

Have you looked at samples of each to see how the lessons work? That might be one way of evaluating which one will work best for you and your son.

Merry :-)

The Essentials curriculum from LOE was specifically developed for kids ages 8 through adults who are either starting out or are in need of remediation. I know that the tiles are a big part of AAS, and everyone loves them, but one of the tenets of the O/G method (and the Spalding off-shoots like Phonics Road and LOE) is using *writing* (the kinesthetic action)-- along with hearing and saying the sounds of the phonograms--in order to cement the words in the students' heads.

We haven't used the tiles since the first week or two. We write everyting on a whiteboard.

I don't have LOE at all, AAS has worked AWESOME for us. Like your child, my daughter did an OG style phonics program - worked great, but couldn't spell....at all! AAS to the rescue! We also use it for dictation (I know, I know the sentences are pretty easy, but hey, I double up wherever I can!)

It's open and go, which is huge for me...HUGE. If it isn't open and go it doesn't get done around here :O!

Wow, AAS has changed my kids' spelling lives. Before AAS, they were doing all this magical spelling and it wasn't even phonetic, just wrong. Now we have rules and fun with spelling. I learned whole language growing up and never had trouble spelling and even I have learned from it. My dc are 11 & 9 and just soaking up everything good about AAS. I love it!

Edited by lillehei

I have used three volumes of AAS and am currently going throug AAR. I really want to streamline my day, so we are going with LOE next year. I left off in Level 3 AAS with my son, who is now in 5th grade (he just got really bored with it), and I don't want to have to go back through the rest of the lower levels in order to "catch him up" to where he should be. I think he would be able to spell most of the words, so I would just want to skip those lessons. I will use LOE for my dd, and let big brother hang out and listen to the rules. Although I love the AAR series, but it just isn't coming out fast enough for my dd.