Menu

Can I skip Rod & Staff English 3?

MamaHappy

My 3rd grade ds is using R&S English 2 this year since that is what HOD recommends (we started out the year using Bigger). This book really seems to easy for him and I don't feel like he's been challenged AT ALL. I regret using it and I wish I would have just started him in English 3.

Anyway, for next year do you think I could have him go straight to English 4? Or would it be unwise to skip a book?

Thanks!

3 is definitely a step up from 2, in my experience. My daughter did R&S 2 at age 6, did a different curriculum at 7, then FLL 3 at 8, and has done R&S 4 this year at age 9...officially 4th grade and reading/spelling etc at 5th and above....it HAS not been too easy, but she has been pretty facile with it. I would look closely at 3 first before skipping, as although I felt the 2nd grade grammer was really truely 2nd grade level, after that they do seem more advanced.

Erin

3 is definitely a step up from 2, in my experience. My daughter did R&S 2 at age 6, did a different curriculum at 7, then FLL 3 at 8, and has done R&S 4 this year at age 9...officially 4th grade and reading/spelling etc at 5th and above....it HAS not been too easy, but she has been pretty facile with it. I would look closely at 3 first before skipping, as although I felt the 2nd grade grammer was really truely 2nd grade level, after that they do seem more advanced.

Erin

Agreeing :iagree:

Check samples of both. 2 and 3 were both too easy for my son when used a grade ahead. He could have jumped into 4 without a problem. Grammar comes easily to him though.

3 didn't seem advanced to me, but I only have FLL3 to compare it with.

Supposedly, you can jump in at grade level up to grade 5, but YMMV.

Erin

:iagree: R&S English grade 3 is quite a bit more challenging than grade 2. Personally I wouldn't skip grade 3 and go straight to grade 4.

I'm not telling you what you should do here. I'll just share our experience this year. I bought R&S English 3 for my 4th grader because she had very little previous exposure to grammar instruction. We got about half-way through and she hated it for some reason. She couldn't explain why, but I felt it went to slow and she was ready for more in-depth instruction. I had R&S 4 and so we started at the beginning. There are some things that we just learned that we'll either skip or do two lessons that day, not assigning all the practice problems. We do most of it orally and I always do the review section at the beginning. She loves it now. I don't know what changed for her, but she really enjoys it and misses it when we don't get to it for a couple days. Hope that helps.

Yes--3 is skippable. I wouldn't recommend doing R&S above grade level, but since your ds will be in 4th grade, just use the grade 4 book. While 3 is a jump from 2, there really isn't a huge jump from 3 to 4. My 4th grader is using the 4 book without issue after doing part of 2 and only a tiny bit of 3.

After grades 2 and 3, R&S is very advanced. My advanced dd that is great at all things language, grammar, spelling, reading etc. stays at grade level in R&S english. She is one grade ahead in their math which is a good fit for a challenge for her, and 1 grade ahead in the spelling which is still WAY too easy for her. But the R&S 4 is just right. They are doing diagramming that I didn't do until middle school. The writing assignments (if you are going to do them) are a big step up and more frequent.

So I wouldn't (and didn't) put an advanced 3rd grader into R&S 4 and am glad that I didn't. I haven't looked through grade 5 yet, but based on the reviews that I have read, it gets tougher grade 5 and up. Mine could have done grade 2 in 1st grade too, but I just thought it better to stay on grade level with this course.

She's looking at putting a 4th grader in grade 4.

Right. I'm talking about this fall when my ds starts 4th grade. We'll just finish out this year with English 2 since we only have one unit left. I wouldn't consider him "advanced" but definitely bright and doesn't seem to struggle with much of anything.

I *thought* I read somewhere (maybe TWTM book) that for grades 2-4, a child with no previous grammar can go right into their grade level book. But after that, it's best to back up a grade. I wish I had that book! :)

I totally missed that she was doing it below grade level now. I withdraw my comments.

3 is a big jump up and will cover things that weren't in 2 and is a good stepping stone to 4.

But I don't know... if your child is familiar with adverbs and such, I think they could probably go right to 4. If we were talking about a child that struggles, then I would say no.

Don't some people skip grammar altogether in the early grades and go right in at grade level later anyway?

I totally missed that she was doing it below grade level now. I withdraw my comments.

3 is a big jump up and will cover things that weren't in 2 and is a good stepping stone to 4.

But I don't know... if your child is familiar with adverbs and such, I think they could probably go right to 4. If we were talking about a child that struggles, then I would say no.

Don't some people skip grammar altogether in the early grades and go right in at grade level later anyway?

I'm thinking SWB says go into grade level though the grade 5 book.

:iagree: R&S English grade 3 is quite a bit more challenging than grade 2. Personally I wouldn't skip grade 3 and go straight to grade 4.

:iagree: You could move through 3 at a quicker pace, assigning only what you deem necessary, but I would not skip it.

Why don't you start at 4th grade....and get the extra worksheets for both 3rd & 4th grade.....

My dd finished 4th grade R&S, there were lessons that she needed more refreshing on so we pulled worksheets from both 3rd & 4th grade books....

We are repeated the 4th grade book again next year even though she will be in 5th....the 5th grade book is very advanced and she is just not quite there yet....I would rather have an easier year than a year of tears...

We backed up a year with my son because we switched to R&S his 7th grade year and had him do the 6th book. I was glad we did because it does advance quite rapidly and the book is under the assumption that each year you need less explanations and review. We just finished R&S 8 (his 9th year) and he his doing excellent in his grammar.....

Just a thought for you! :)

Why don't you start at 4th grade....and get the extra worksheets for both 3rd & 4th grade.....

My dd finished 4th grade R&S, there were lessons that she needed more refreshing on so we pulled worksheets from both 3rd & 4th grade books....

We are repeated the 4th grade book again next year even though she will be in 5th....the 5th grade book is very advanced and she is just not quite there yet....I would rather have an easier year than a year of tears...

We backed up a year with my son because we switched to R&S his 7th grade year and had him do the 6th book. I was glad we did because it does advance quite rapidly and the book is under the assumption that each year you need less explanations and review. We just finished R&S 8 (his 9th year) and he his doing excellent in his grammar.....

Just a thought for you! :)

This is a really good idea! I hadn't considered the worksheets..... thanks! :)