Menu

Book Suggestions for Co-op Lit Class

jpklehm

I'll be teaching a Lit Class for grades 4-6 for our co-op, and I need to compile a list of about 9-10 classic chapter books for us all to read. What are some of your favorites?

I have many, many ideas...far too many, in fact...and I want to get some specific recommendations from all of you!

So what do you say? Will you give me a few recommendations so I can finish my Course Description and get reading? :D

Thank you so much!

What's the focus of your group?

I'm the theme queen and would probably orient it around a defining them of some sort.

Honestly, I don't have a theme. I really want to focus on some of the classics (A Wrinkle in Time, Island of the Blue Dolphins, My Side of the Mountain?, The Trumpet of the Swan), with perhaps a couple "just for fun" ones (Lemony Snicket?) thrown in.

My vision is for our class to have some discussion time (I want to lead the discussion around Deconstructing Penguins ("Books are like puzzles..."), helping the students to grasp some of the subtleties of the stories), and having some fun hands-on activities to go along with them. Take 2-3 weeks to read the story and then on the last week for that story, finishing our time with a fun activity, snack, or something along those lines.

I'm just now formulating this in my mind, so if anyone has done this before and/or has some suggestions, I could use all the help I can get!

Thank you!

I've been running book clubs (using ideas from Deconstructing Penguins and Teaching the Classics) the past couple of years - this year I started one for my 5th grader. This club is all girls, so the selections do skew a bit girly.

This was our list this year:

The Secret of Platform Thirteen

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase

The Jungle Book

The Black Stallion

Five Children and It

The Wind in the Willows

Ella Enchanted

Next year these are ones I'm thinking of choosing from (still have to narrow it down more):

Anne of Green Gables

True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

The Star of Kazan

Witch of Blackbird Pond

The Penderwicks

House of Arden

Secret Garden

Wrinkle in Time

Caddie Woodlawn

A Long Way from Chicago

The Magician’s Nephew

Twenty One Balloons

The View from Saturday or From the Mixed-Up Files…

Rascal

The Call of the Wild

Tiger Rising

Pushcart War

Paint the Wind

Misty of Chincoteague

I'm just now formulating this in my mind, so if anyone has done this before and/or has some suggestions, I could use all the help I can get!

I've been running book clubs (using ideas from Deconstructing Penguins and Teaching the Classics) the past couple of years - this year I started one for my 5th grader.

:bigear:

I'd love to hear more ideas.

I'm trying to get a book club for 4th - 5th graders next year. I've never done anything like this before, and don't want to fall flat on my face.

Could you tell more about how you've run your book clubs?

What works? What doesn't? Do you start with prepared questions? What background research do you do on the books? How long to allow for discussion?

My girls' book club just did: Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. It was an excellent book and they enjoyed it a lot. I would add it.

This book sounds fantastic. I will add it as Historical Fiction.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Here is my list for next year. It is inspired by Deconstructing Penguins. The highlights from this year were:

Heidi, The Jungle Book, Anne of Green Gables, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, The Call of the Wild (although the girls did not like the dog abuse),Bully For You Teddy Roosevelt, All of a Kind of a Family, Mary Poppins (loved it!), and our next one is Number the Stars.

Next year:ugust: The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

September: The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

October: White Lilacs by Carolyn Meyer

November: The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr

December: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

January: Babe by Dick King-Smith

February: Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor

March: Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell

April: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle

May: The Secret Garden by Frances H. Burnett

Here is my list for next year. It is inspired by Deconstructing Penguins. The highlights from this year were:

Heidi, The Jungle Book, Anne of Green Gables, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, The Call of the Wild (although the girls did not like the dog abuse),Bully For You Teddy Roosevelt, All of a Kind of a Family, Mary Poppins (loved it!), and our next one is Number the Stars.

Next year:ugust: The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg

September: The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

October: White Lilacs by Carolyn Meyer

November: The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr

December: A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

January: Babe by Dick King-Smith

February: Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor

March: Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell

April: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle

May: The Secret Garden by Frances H. Burnett

Great list, thank you! I have many of these on my list but you're the second poster to recommend Number the Stars, so I'm going to add that.

I also like how you simplified your list by organizing it by month. I've been thinking about how to know how long it will take to read each book but this way, we have enough time to read each book as well as have group discussions and possibly a fun activity for each.

Thank you!