Menu

Potty Training Question

I never really had to "train" my girls, they both woke up one morning and asked to wear panties and trained from that day forward, so this is somewhat new to me.

My son is 3.5. He "pee" trained quite a while ago and has even gone from sitting to standing. He did occasionally poop on the potty but it has always been hit or miss, but he did try, however, once he started standing to pee, he suddenly became TERRIFIED of the potty! If I even so much as pick him up in the bathroom he goes stiff, arches his back and screams in a truly terrified manner. This is not a 3 year old throwing a tantrum. This is genuine fear. We purchased a potty seat, I have talked to him, assured him that I will hold him while he goes, and so on. He is just so scared he can't sit on it. He is ready physically to do it. He knows how because he was at least attempting it before he learned to go standing up, but now, nope. It has thrown me for a loop since he trained sitting down first. Why is it all of a sudden so scary for him? He desperately wants to be out of diapers (he is associating it with being a baby) but I can't do that until he will go in the potty :001_huh:

:bigear:

I have a two year old who is doing this. He is doing very well standing up with #1, but is scared stiff about pooping on it. He will come running and poop in his pants refusing to sit down on either the toilet of the potty. I have talked, bribed, rewarded, taken him in with me, tried to distract him with reading, etc. etc.. I am at my wits end. He did it once and I richly rewarded him.....now this....

He's going to have to decide he wants to go.

If you are sure he's physically able (and it sounds like he is) and that he's a relatively normal kid without other issues (severe constipation comes to mind but probably others...), go ahead and inject little comments into the conversation that will make him want to poop on the pot. Maybe, "Oh, we cannot take you to Sesame Street Live program until you poop on the potty." Or, "Well, I'd like to take you to the new park to play on the big slide, but that will come after you poop on the pot." Or, "Yes, Aidan is signed up for soccer but that's only for pot-poopers. Aidan puts his poop in the pot so he can join soccer." Say it matter of factly and then go about your business. He has to process the fact that potty-pooping has its privileges!

Maybe an unopened new toy that sits on the shelf and requires 10 poops on the pot.

My ds (now 13 and would be horrified if he knew I was typing this) was like that. He actually was trained for 3 weeks for both functions and then one day announced, "I'm only peeing in the potty." "Oh, why's that?" "I don't like pooping on the potty." As if it was an option.

It took a lot of bribing and restrictions and "when you decide to poop on the potty" statements and he finally decided he would do it. Once he made the decision he was fine.

It took about five months. Really. Ugh. I just kept up with the pleasant "when you poop on the pot..." I cried alone at nights.

No he isn't constipated. That was also my first thought, but he goes in his diaper just fine and doesn't appear to be constipated.

I did manage to just get him to sit on the potty last night. It took some time and he would only do it if I counted from 1-10 so that he knew when he could get off, but it is a start.

For just peeing, set him free outside :) Have him "water" some bush you have? :) For pooping, only you know him and what the main "problem" is... I stopped using warm wipes and rinsed him off... BUT, my son was not terrified of going on the potty, he had just decided he preferred warm wipes and someone cleaning him than "taking the time" to go himself. He was over 3 years old... I don't know... I'm a patient mama.... nursed till he was almost 5, but changing a 3+ yr old was too much for me... (Especially because he could... he just didn't want to...) Change has always been a bit hard for him....