Menu

Critical Thinking Vs AoA?

What to do...what to do....

I am trying to decide between the two. I am leaning towards Critical Thinking 1 and 2 by Harnadek because I own them. I picked them up (plus the teacher book) for cheap a couple years ago. I always assumed I would use them. I know they can be challenging to use one on one but I figured we would muddle through. The price is right and that goes a long way, kwim?

But, I just looked at Art of Argument and I think it might be easier to use? I can't really tell.

I was thinking I could use AoA in one year and then follow up with the book on deductions. Then I could spend grades 9 & 10 with some formal logic. I have "modern logic primer" 1 and 2 from UC Davis

http://tellerprimer.ucdavis.edu/

So, I know that AoA covers some controversial topics but has also been toned down recently.

Has anyone here tried both? Anyone able to speak about ease of implementation?

Thank you for reading!

AoA is absolutely excellent. I am using the new edition and there is nothing at all controversial or religious in them. I don't know about the Critical Thinking books, but AoA covers all the fallacies. My ds is memorizing them and now recognizing them in advertisements, newspaper editorials, and essays. It is a wonderful book. We do 1 fallacy per week and it takes about an hour including review.

Ruth in NZ

Well, you could always do both. :001_smile: I was just reading TWTM today and SWB recommends either doing CT in 6th grade and then moving onto Traditional Logic OR doing CT in 6th grade and then moving onto AoA in 7th and then Traditional Logic.

I don't know what we're going to do because 6th grade is almost over and we're still doing Mindbenders and Building Thinking Skills.

Lisa

I love AoA as well. Ds likes all the pictures and adverts, as well as the dialogues between Tiffany and Socrates.

I've read 9 books on logic, both informal and formal (just to train myself), and actually found I learnt more with AoA and DoD than any other book so far. Though I haven't reviewed CT.