Menu

Classical Conversations for PreK 4/5 - Yes? No?

Megicce

Hi all! I discovered Classical Conversations today and found a group near my home. I love the idea, but I'm wondering whether anyone has experience doing CC with a 4-year-old, and how much benefit you've found in it. It seems like the material covered might be beyond her right now!

We have been doing a loosely structured, not super rigorous Pre-K program this year (phonics, lots of books, and science), and I'm contemplating MFW K for next year as a gentle preschool-K transition. I love the idea of Classical Conversations mostly to begin getting her into the habit of memory work in a fun atmosphere and also for the social element (we desperately need homeschooling friends!). I'm thinking of using TOG starting in 2013 or 2014, depending on her readiness. I'm also curious about how that would work with CC, because I'd hate to start CC and then stop it after we've built relationships there.

Any feedback? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Megicce

We started CC 3 years ago with a K4 and 1st grader. This coming year I'll have all three kids and my youngest will be starting in the K4 class. We love it! I can't say enough about my CC group. It provides great memory work and friendships for both the kids and myself. As far as the question if a K4 student can learn and do the memory work....YES! You'll be surprised just how much they can learn it. Often the memory work is set to music so if you listen to it, they can pick it up. They will not fully understand at that age what they are learning but that is the beauty of it too. They will have more years to gain the information and the next time around, they will learn it more in-depth. We believe in the program and plan to be in it for many more years, each year adding on to when we learned it the time before. My oldest son is actually excited to start cycle 1 again. He wants to do Memory Masters, which is where they get tested to know the information. We use CC as a starting point for our work and then build on it.

CC offers practicums this spring/summer that you might want to check out. It's a 3 day event that is free for parents. This year ours is talking about Latin and the classical model. Also, I highly recommend visiting the CC group you are interested in joining to see how it works. That might give you a better idea if that group and CC would be a good fit for your child and yourself.

I think doing CC with a 4 year old is do-able depending on the 4 year old. My 4 year old daughter is the youngest in her class and was not ready for that academic of a setting. They had a great tutor who kept them moving, but my dd could not sit still for most everything. Her class just got used to having her under the table, in the windowsill, etc.

I think CC is good in that it really helps parents see what their children are capable of memorizing. It gives also gives a good community for first time homeschoolers. We will be just focusing on TOG next year using CC memory work that co-ordinates with what we are learning. The time away from home each week was just too much for our family.

As far as using TOG and CC, it's doable, but don't expect them to match up that well. Do them as two separate programs and it can work. Trying to co-ordinate them won't work at all. CC memory work spans too much history in a year. For example, cycle 2 of CC goes through 3 years of TOG history.

Beth

Just the information I needed! I have been debating about us doing CC with my oldest next year who is 4. The only thing that was keeping me away from the idea is people saying that it isn't worth it for that age. I want to do it mainly for the social aspect, as we have lost many friends to school. We desperately need friends who are on the same page in life! I feel like anything she learns will just be icing on the cake and she will add to it in the future.

We did CC this year, and DD turned 5 in October. We've really enjoyed it! She didn't grasp most of the material, but that's not the point of the grammar stage. The grammar stage is all about introducing and drilling the facts, and the understanding will come in the logic stage. When they reach the logic stage, it'll be like, "Oh yeah! The periodic table! I remember doing that when I was younger! So that's what it's all about." Hahaha, light bulb moments.

DD's been able to memorize quite a bit this year. She can recite all of the History sentences, most of the skip counting songs, about half of the states and capitals, the verse in Latin (to song), and we're in the middle of memorizing the presidents. It's really surprising what they can memorize. They're minds are little sponges. :) We love CC! And we love going to our CC community!

All of my kiddos will be in pre-k next year, and I visited the open house at our CC. I have almost decided NOT to do it. We've decided on FIAR as our main curriculum for next year, along with (continuing) AAR pre-level and HWT pre-k. We already lose one day every two weeks to MOPs, and another day to my DH being off every other Friday, so giving up 2 more days in a 2 week period for CC doesn't appeal. Especially when I think I'll spend the whole policing the behavior and activity level of my oldest. I love the concept, but I think we'll save it for when we're a little older, out of MOPs, etc.

My opinion is that if you find a playgroup with a couple other moms, that could be awesome! Meet at alternating homes or whatever... Take turns teaching a poem (1 poem a month?) or something like that... Enjoy the time you have :) Memorize anything and you'll keep that part going... and you can tailor it to your children.

To make it through all the cycles 2x you just start at age 6. By then, you might have a small group to do CC material with... free :)

In my opinion, I would wait as well. My older children are in Foundations and my four year old dd very easily memorizes right alongside her brothers at home. However, I will wait to enroll her in Foundations until she is five or six simply because it is three hours spent in a classroom. If you are really interested in getting a start, I would recommend buying a CC memory work CD and play it in the car, while she plays, etc. It is amazing what they are able to store away without sitting for an extended time in a classroom at such a young age. And although CC can provide a good community and relationship building opportunity, at this age, you can accomplish the same thing through a playgroup, MOPS or other more age appropriate venue. IMHO.

Let me throw out my disclaimer first....I am a director for a Classical Conversations community, so I am a bit biased! But, I am a mama first (to a 4 year old....plus 8 year old...plus 10 year old...)

Honestly, my 4 yo tutor was so great....I really thought my son wouldn't get anything out if it because he is so active and he was the youngest in his class.

I was so wrong!

Let me preface with this...I have not worked with him at all...other than what he has overheard. He is always in the room when I work with his older brothers.

The other day my neighbor called me and told me "Your son just told my daughter all about Pearl Harbor...Japan...the bombs. Last week he was telling us all about the Lusitania and German U-boats. What are you doing over there?" :)

Plus...and this is the part you will like...he loves it!! He wants to have his own class...his own "teacher" (although the CC term is tutor), and his own playmates. The songs make it fun. He is going to sing about something....why not sing about Abraham Lincoln?

Anyway...I know CC is not for everyone....but, I have been pleasantly surprised by how much my 4yo has picked up!

If you want more info about memory work and CC-related stuff, check out my blog.....

www.teachingboys.net

Jennifer

First a little history. We did half a year of CC when my oldest was 5 and quit b/c our schedule ended up being too full, I was pregnant and exhausted. At that time I thought I could do it better at home. So that was my plan. We were doing TOG at the time as well. And I never got around to doing the memory work at home as I planned.

Fast forward several years and we did CC for the first full year this year. My third child is 5 (started the year at age 4 1/2) and he LOVED it. Now he may have gained more than a child who is the oldest and many of the moms in his class think he's way above everyone else but that's just b/c he has older siblings he competes with. But even my 3 year old has picked up quite a bit! I really think the CD in the car is key.

The main reason why I think one should go ahead and jump in is for Mom. The accountability and fellowship is awesome for both Mom and child. I think it is motivating to make sure your child behaves properly and learns to respect his teacher and his friends, etc. I think Moms can learn so much by talking to other moms whether it be about curriculum choices, schedules, or whatever you have on your mind that week! I think the main value academically comes when they do it again later. But I think my son knows a lot more about history and science and Latin and geography than he would have otherwise. He can skip count up to 15 x 15 and someday that will come in really, really handy!

I honestly think that the benefits far outweigh the weaknesses. I wish I had never left. My oldest would have benefited tremendously from CC had I left her in and kept her in.

If you decide not to I'd still buy the cds and the guide and listen to it in the car. Buy Leigh Bortin's books and read them as well as others about classical education. I say jump in rigorously with the 3R's, add in CC for inspiration in other subjects and a ton of books and you can't go wrong! Too often I think we homeschool moms invest so much time on history and science that we sacrifice time on the 3R's when really if we just hit the 3R's hard and inspire and plant seeds in the other subjects it is a much better recipe for an excellent education! That's my "wisdom" after doing this for 6 years....