Menu

Pre-K, next year

spaceman

My youngest will be in pre-K next year. I only have 2 children, and my oldest will be in 1st.

I'm looking to gather materials both to keep her busy while I'm working with my oldest and to satisfy her desire to "do school".

She's already begun Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading and is on lesson 30something (not too far, but can read simple CVC words in other contexts as well). We are very relaxed with it and I plan to continue that next year. However, that is definitely not in the category of "keeping her busy while I do lessons with my oldest". I may be able to get him started in math, then switch to OPGTR with her while still being available for math help.

She has a Montessori-style shelf that could use some updated fun items for next year--suggestions welcome. She has a homemade write and wipe type letter and number writing sheets she will probably not outgrow before next year (and I personally have no desire to get her writing, but she does...and I don't want her forming bad habits). These take minimal work from me (just supervision and correction occasionally).

She's fairly obsessed with her brother's All About Spelling. So much so, that I try to do it during her naptime. However, it may make everyone happier if I got her a set of AAS magnet tiles and a little magnet board and set something up for her.

This has become super long and rambly, but more of my older child's work next year will be workbook based and I don't think she'll be satisfied unless she has a workbook or two of her own. So, I'm looking for a pretty self-directed pre-k book for a child with very limited reading, writing, and numeracy skills but would satisfy her desire to feel like she's doing "school". Handing her a coloring book would not cut it. Does something like this exist?

BrainQuest makes a pre-K workbook that is colourful and fairly straightforward. My son (pre-k this year) loves it. I think I spent about $10 on it. You'd have to read the directions ("match up the _ with the _"; "put these pictures in order", etc) but other than that your daughter should have no problem working in it.

BrainQuest makes a pre-K workbook that is colourful and fairly straightforward. My son (pre-k this year) loves it. I think I spent about $10 on it. You'd have to read the directions ("match up the _ with the _"; "put these pictures in order", etc) but other than that your daughter should have no problem working in it.

Hmmm...that might work and it's big, so if the binding sucks it won't be a terrible deal to chop and spiral bind it.

How is the binding? That is my biggest pet peeve with Kumon books. They are for little kids, but they don't stay open and the cost of changing the binding doubles the price of the book.

The Brainquest pages are perforated so you can tear them out. It's definitely a consumable product.

For my pre-k child in the fall, I'm collecting craft ideas. Each craft will have it's materials put into ziploc bags and be set out workbox style with the rest of her stuff for each day of the week. That way she can work on things while I'm dealing with the other two.

Mine loved the Rod and STaff ABC preschool/K workbooks. Simple directions and skills that increase as you progress through the books.

My preschooler is using these. And they're so cheap that I really don't mind if she does a few pages on her own (i.e. scribbling all over them, LOL). Next year, my youngest will be 4 and we'll be doing a LOTW-type program of my own making (+ OPGTR). She'll also be tagging along with big sis for science/geography.

ETA: next year, she'll continue with some R&S workbooks. (They are really nice little books and very affordable!)

Edited by alisoncooks

Mine loved the Rod and STaff ABC preschool/K workbooks. Simple directions and skills that increase as you progress through the books.

:iagree:These are nice and inexpensive. The Explode the Code primers are good review even for kids who are starting to read CVC words, IMO.

Bright Beginnings Preschool Curriculum

Little Acorn Learning

Wee Folk Art Curriculum

Seasons of Joy

All About Reading Pre-Level 1

Oak Meadow K (gentle K, could be suitable as a pre-k)

Galloping the Globe

Elemental Science Pre-K

Umm...basically check out my pinterest boards, lol, saves me writing. I have curriculums, homeschool ideas, craft ideas, all sorts of stuff on there:

http://pinterest.com/missed/

Another vote for the Rod and Staff books. My dd is working through them now and she loves them. They have a pre-k 3-4 set that is largely geared toward developing hand strength--tracing lines and such. We moved through those in a week and have moved on to the ABC set. They are great. And cheap:D.

Edited by urpedonmommy