Menu

TOG and timelines

M&M

We will be doing our first timeline this year. We don't have the space to do a wall timeline, so I am wondering what you all use.

I think TOG sells one, and I know that there are lots of them out there. What have you used and what has worked for you and what has not?

Even if you don't use TOG what timelines have been a success?

TIA

What year will you be doing? I am doing year 2 somewhere is a fabulous one to print and put into a notebook. I found it: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TapestryofGraceYear2/files/Timeline/

In the Loose Threads yahoo files there are some for other years.

I printed the one above out and am putting it into a notebook for them to work on.

Christine

We use the spiral-bound one sold by Sonlight, with the figures from TOG (the CD set that TOG sells). (Well, I wanted a timeline for ME, too, so I use an old hardbound one (?Through the Ages or something like that), but I like ds's spiral-bound one best.)

I made my own 3-ring binder timeline. There are 50 years to a 2-page spread.

I use cardstock, which I purchased at Staples.

My beginning dates are in the 1400's, so I am not sure how we would have handled Ancients. I use the History Through the Ages CD.

We used a wall timeline made from butcher paper, but I prefer the notebook, because I can add to it, if necessary.

What year will you be doing? I am doing year 2 somewhere is a fabulous one to print and put into a notebook. I found it: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TapestryofGraceYear2/files/Timeline/

In the Loose Threads yahoo files there are some for other years.

I printed the one above out and am putting it into a notebook for them to work on.

Christine

We are doing Y1

We use the spiral-bound one sold by Sonlight, with the figures from TOG (the CD set that TOG sells). (Well, I wanted a timeline for ME, too, so I use an old hardbound one (?Through the Ages or something like that), but I like ds's spiral-bound one best.)

I will check out the Sonlight one and TOG Cd.

I have each of my older boys do their own, it's in the back of their workbook. When I tried to keep one nice timeline book it never got done, my fault.

Are the boys using timeline figures? If so do they use the TOG ones? Is your timeline the one that you copy in the TOG manual.

Are the boys using timeline figures? If so do they use the TOG ones? Is your timeline the one that you copy in the TOG manual.

I bought the cd from TOG (Homeschool in the Woods) and I made my own pages. It just has a decorative line on the bottom and a range of years. I think once we got to the 17th century I made each page 25 years.

We will be doing our first timeline this year. We don't have the space to do a wall timeline, so I am wondering what you all use.

I think TOG sells one, and I know that there are lots of them out there. What have you used and what has worked for you and what has not?

Even if you don't use TOG what timelines have been a success?

TIA

We'll be using TOG for the first time this fall, and I made some colorful timelines in Excel. I wanted colorful timelines to kind of match the colorful TOG literature worksheets:). There are 3 separate files: 6000 BC-1AD, 1AD-1700AD, 1600 AD-2060AD. I created a separate worksheet for each timeline sheet to be printed; the tabs for each worksheet are located at the bottom of the spreadsheet.

I don't plan to buy any timeline figures; ds11 will simply copy the info from the TOG timeline instructions onto these timelines which will be kept in his history notebook. The earliest periods of time have 500 years per page, and the most modern periods have 20 years per page.

I uploaded a copy in GoogleDocs (here), but the Excel file is bit cleaner than that.

I may adjust the row height of the worksheets so that ds11 won't have to write so small.

If you're interested, I can email you the Excel files.

HTH!

We use the spiral-bound one sold by Sonlight

This is what we use as well.

As for timeline figures, I have really enjoyed the Winter Promise Exclusive Timeline figures. They are already colored for you, and very cute. My son does not like the Amy Pak sets as they are just too detailed and difficult to color for him.

Winter Promise also has a nice timeline book. It's actually timeline pages that you place into a three-ring binder of your choice. It is especially nice if you like notebooking because you can add your notebooking pages in your timeline book.

I basically use the Sonlight one because it is what we started with and now has several years worth of timeline figures in it. There are probably nicer books available though. :)

We use a spiral-bound sketch pad for timelines. I got the idea from Donna Young. It works well because the paper is nice and thick, and if you look at the example on her site, it shows how to cut off the top of some pages to have a more detailed spread for any given era. Using these gives us plenty of room to write and paste in images.

Now thats a good idea!!

We have used Sonlights time line book of time and now Wonders of old, along w/ Sonlight time line figures, a few Konos and now Home school in the woods cd.

This is what we use as well.

As for timeline figures, I have really enjoyed the Winter Promise Exclusive Timeline figures. They are already colored for you, and very cute. My son does not like the Amy Pak sets as they are just too detailed and difficult to color for him.

Winter Promise also has a nice timeline book. It's actually timeline pages that you place into a three-ring binder of your choice. It is especially nice if you like notebooking because you can add your notebooking pages in your timeline book.

I basically use the Sonlight one because it is what we started with and now has several years worth of timeline figures in it. There are probably nicer books available though. :)

I wanted to add that we also use a laminated wall timeline that we purchased at a homeschool convention. It is called Mark-it Timeline of History. It's about 23" wide by 35" tall. We like to rubber cement our timeline figures on this first, and then at the end of the year transfer and permanently glue them into our timeline book. Having the small wall timeline is nice for viewing a visual of our history happenings for the year.

This timeline has the basic lines, but allows you to use a wet-erase marker and put in your timeline dates. So, you can make (date) the chart all 20th century if that is your desire. Then the next year, you can erase those dates and do ancients. It's very flexible, small enough to use on any wall, and reusable year after year. ;)