Menu

My dd HATES CLE Math...now what?

pocjets

My first grade daughter hates CLE math. She "gets" it all and makes 100 on every quiz/test, but she really just hates. (I do NOT make her do every problem.) I, on the other hand, like it because it's very easy to teach.

My DH says she might just need a different approach? I know math just needs to be done but I'd like to keep her from hating it if possible.

I just get overwhelmed when I look at all of the other choices out there!

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions??

What level is she in? Did you have her take the diagnostic test before placing her in the math?

It sounds like she wasn't put in the right level to begin with.

With that said though it might be possible she doesn't like it. My oldest, no matter how much I love CLE math has hated every moment of it. I'm trialing her with Horizons Pre Algebra. Not hearing any complaints from her. But then she's my bells and whistle kid. She needs pictures and color to learn evidently. To me I would think math is math but to her its not that way.

I was able to get my hands on the first 24 pages of the Horizons math from the company when I asked a question about it on their Facebook page. My daughter seems to like it more and it is spiral ( what she needs) like CLE. She's only completed the first lesson today so I'll have to see how she does with it and if she still likes it by the time she finishes it. But it could be a color issue. Some kids just HAVE to have it.

I would suggest if she needs the spiral review that CLE provides then I would take a look at Horizons. Its not exactly like CLE but its close enough. But first you need to evaluate what is going on here. If she's getting 100% on every quiz and test I can say she is NOT at the level she needs to be in.

If you did do the diagnostic test then what some people do is buy the teacher manuals and have their child take the alternate tests until they start getting below an 80% and then start from there.

Edited by TracyR

What is the complaint ?

Too easy, too repetitive, not colorful, not fun, or what ?

Does she need a curriculum where she can be accelerated easily ? Then, get a mastery-based curriculum. Need challenging problems ? Then pair CLE w/ challenging workbooks from, e.g. Singapore math (Singapore Word Problem and Intensive Practice come to mind). Does she need a colorful book, full of riddles ? Horizons may fit the bill (it's fun !)

Your dd sounds EXACTLY like mine when we used CLE 1st grade math. We have since switched to Singapore, and it is going much better. She still doesn't love math, but she doesn't complain about math every day like she did before. I much preferred teaching CLE math though.

I agree with the others - check placement (if she's getting 100% on everything, it's probably too easy and she needs to be bumped up a level), and a mastery curriculum may be more to her liking. My oldest is very mathy, and he gets bored with a spiral curriculum where he already knows how to do everything, especially if he's placed wrong (as he was in Saxon 1 in first grade at school and should have been in Saxon 2, and would have flown through that level if given a chance).

Singapore and Math Mammoth are both excellent choices. Singapore is more appealing to a lot of students and has less problems per exercise (good for students that don't need a ton of repetition, though there is more repetition available if they need it).

For many kids, math is more fun if there is at least a little bit of challenge to it. If they're doing things they already figured out themselves, it gets boring and becomes "busywork" to them, ya know?

Thanks for the responses. She is only in 1st grade so she is in CLE 100.

I'll try to see if I can figure out why she doesn't like her. I've asked her before but she just says, "I don't know, I just don't like it."

You all have given me a lot to consider so thanks!

Thanks for the responses. She is only in 1st grade so she is in CLE 100.

Grade level doesn't always match ability level. Always do placement tests. :) And always reevaluate placement if a child is either failing all tests or getting 100's on all tests.

Grade level doesn't always match ability level. Always do placement tests. And always reevaluate placement if a child is either failing all tests or getting 100's on all tests.

Ok Thanks! She's my first so I'm still trying to get everything figured out. I appreciate that advice and will certainly do that from from no on