Menu

RightStart Users - I have a ?

hollyh

Hi. I'm interested in RS purely for the game feature. It seems as though it has a lot of games that would make math more fun for my dd. I'm not so sure I need to jump ship to another program, but wondering if I could simply buy the games book and utilize some of those? Would that work? Would I also need to buy all the game pieces or could those be easily made? From the limited picture that their website provided, it looked like simple number cards mainly. Am I wrong? Can you buy individual pieces or do you have to purchase the whole set?

Quick question about RS Math. Does anyone use it for the higher levels, like D and E? It seems that most people use it for A-C. Just wondering why?

Thanks!

My oldest is in Level D this year and will be in Level E next year. The program fits us and it works, so we are sticking with it.

Guest nemocage
Hi. I'm interested in RS purely for the game feature. It seems as though it has a lot of games that would make math more fun for my dd. I'm not so sure I need to jump ship to another program, but wondering if I could simply buy the games book and utilize some of those? Would that work? Would I also need to buy all the game pieces or could those be easily made? From the limited picture that their website provided, it looked like simple number cards mainly. Am I wrong? Can you buy individual pieces or do you have to purchase the whole set?

The game cards are worth getting. You can just buy the games book and the cards or take the goust from others.

We are on rightstart D. We will use E when done.

If you know what you want the games to reinforce I could tell you what cards you need and you could piecemeal it.

Green cards are the basic number cards. They are a must.

Blue are the multiplication cards so any game working with multiplying you will need those.

And the corners game is a must. It teaches adding subtracting and multiples.

The rest I have used but we don't play with as often. The cards will come with game rules, so you can get just the basic cards and it will have a few games but not all.

http://store.rightstartmath.com/supplements.aspx

Are the games that good? How useful did you find them to be?

I think so. My children have learned a lot through play and often when we play a game they have to play again and again. They like seeing who wins. I have a child in D and a child in B. Another useful part is I can have my children play together while I tend to my 2 younger children.

The games are great and I would also recommend getting the cards. There are quite a lot of cards and it would take a lot of time and effort on your part to make the cards yourself.

We've stopped using RightStart, but still play the games to reinforce the concepts that we've learned. And there are a whole bunch of games that we haven't even tried yet.