Menu

What materials do I need?

alexfam

We will start homeschooling for the first year this July using WTM method. What materials do I need? I'm not talking about curriculum i've got all except for a few things. I'm talking about how many 3-ring notebooks and what size (also what all goes into the notebooks?), loose leaf paper, writing paper, pencils, etc...

DS is 6 yrs old and will be doing mainly 2nd grade material.

Thank you

Kathy - TX

We use lap size dry erase boards frequently. Especially with math and spelling.

A good pencil sharpener. Wish I could help you out with this one, because I have yet to find a really good one, but I wish I had one.

A heavy duty stapler.

A paper cutter.

A really good set of color pencils. Worth the steep price tag IMHO.

Welcome to the world of homeschooling! Enjoy the ride :auto: !

If you are using SOTW and plan to do much from the AG you should get a pile of art supplies - tempera paint, air dry clay, construction paper, glue sticks, white glue, tape, etc. And I agree with the pp - get a set of really nice colored pencils. We use a big set of Prismacolors. They are pricey, but I bought our set at Hobby Lobby using a 40% off coupon, so they weren't as bad. We use them ALL the time - daily, and the colors are vibrant and smooth.

Binders - I use one for Science, one for History, and one for LA stuff. We also have one we use for Nature Study. They are all 2" right now, but I think we're going to have to do 3" in the future.

I buy lined handwriting paper in the right scale for my 1st grader - you can get it cheaply at Mardels if you have one near you (or check any local teacher supply store), otherwise you can order reams from Miller Pads & Paper. We use Getty Dubay Italics, so I didn't want HWT or other specialty handwriting papers that you can find in the Rainbow catalog. Miller has the best prices I could find on what I wanted.

For the rest of our notebooking I use templates from a notebookingpages.com or pages I made myself, so I just print those out on white printer paper. Hope your toner isn't expensive, because that's another major supply item! We go through a lot of printer ink. :glare:

What else? Ummm... that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll add more later if I think of something that others haven't already mentioned.

In the early years, we didn't use nearly the number of binders as TWTM suggests. We had a history binder, where we kept narrations and maps. Anything else that I wanted to keep just got put in my planning binder behind a tab labeled with the subject. We're in the logic stage now, and we do use more subject binders, but not nearly the number or the subdivisions that the book suggests. I think everybody probably does things differently, you just have to feel your way into your own style.

Karen

I agree with the others, but I'd also like to suggest a map/globe. We've used ours a lot. As for pencils and such, we use pencil boxes to keep pencils, erasers, crayons, colored pencils and everything else that is small that needs a home.

Good luck and remember the first year can be difficult just don't give up.

Marsha

:iagree:

The things we use most are #1-the dry erase boards, markers & eraser, #2-pencils, colored pencils & pencil sharpener, #3-one 2" notebook for each boy, #4-paper, wide rule for my older boy & manuscript paper for my younger boy. #5-the desk in the bedroom. There are times when I need to separate my boys because they aren't doing any work otherwise. The globe is a nice addition and the boys like "seeing" where the history is taking place. HTH

My main thing is I tend to overbuy, overbuy, overbuy--I think it is better to start with less, and add as you go along, especially binders. You can always get more when you see the need--they can use the paper and add to the binders. As for the colored pencils--I saw someone say invest in expensive ones, I wouldn't get the most expensive, just crayola--never get anything roseart, horrible brand. Closer to the start of the "school year", everything you will need will go on sale dirt cheap; buy it all then, double buy on crayola (except markers, because they do dry up), and put them away for when you need them (they are all like a dollar a box), and you will have plenty.

You will need the hole punch, stapler, all of that, just for setting up your classroom, and a file box for each child, each year, will do wonders for your house, your sanity, your life. : )

A hole punch!!

Lots of printer ink and paper - cardstock is very helpful too.

3x5 cards - I found nice big packs at the dollar store

I've found that organizational things have been the most helpful so far - bins, baskets, a plastic drawer cart for art supplies, shelves, buckets, etc.

I also keep my eyes peeled everywhere for art supplies and odds & ends on sale. Cheap measuring cups/spoons, pans, etc. are great for making all the random "clay" recipes and stuff.

A good pencil sharpener. Wish I could help you out with this one, because I have yet to find a really good one, but I wish I had one.

:iagree: I would recommend a sharpener that screws into the wall!! I can not tell you how much time was wasted looking for a pencil sharpener. I ended up purchasing this one - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GP0VIU

Krista

What are y'all using white boards for? I can't remember reading about them in WTM.

I use white boards for spelling practice, teaching grammar especially diagramming, math, math, and math. If one of my ds' are having issues figuring out a problem then it goes on the white board where they write it larger than on paper. This helps them to see what they weren't getting. Also if there is a list of things I need them to do, it gets put on a white board. We use the white boards a lot, it really helps to cut down on the scratch paper clutter that would be hanging around.