Menu

Using ALL of Sonlight from day one...

jessie410

Has anyone done this? I'm still debating my choices for when DS starts Kindergarten and there are just so many things I like. I have been leaning toward MFW, but the closer I look at it, and the more other individual options I see, the more I want to tweak and add to it. Sonlight is the only curriculum where I like most of the options included and feel like I could just order the multi-subject package and really be good to go, not looking anywhere else.

If you do this or have done this, are you happy with it? Do you feel anything is lacking? I'm especially wondering about their LA program and teaching a child to read with it. It would be just SO convenient to order one big box and not look back! And for what its worth, I'm one of those that really likes their changes coming up.

I haven't done it...but some days I wish I had. I keep looking longingly at the new catalog pdf and thinking, man it would be NICE just to do it all, and MAYBE with the LA changes it would actually WORK. :)

Too bad my 5-yo is already 1/2 way through Core K right now (without the LA/Bible).

I haven't done it...but some days I wish I had. I keep looking longingly at the new catalog pdf and thinking, man it would be NICE just to do it all, and MAYBE with the LA changes it would actually WORK. :)

Too bad my 5-yo is already 1/2 way through Core K right now (without the LA/Bible).

I know! It just seems like the most convenient package, and I love how detailed and thorough the IG's are.

Anyone else? I guess the main thing I want to know is about the LA and if it is considered a good program for the learning the read stage. Although it might be a waste of time since it is getting revamped. I may have to wait until someone has used the new LA on a Kinder. I want to know now though!!! :lol:

Us too - I looked at it long and hard last year when DD was in K, but the cost was too much for us. I didn't know then you could buy just the IG or buy it used even - I'd never seen one for sale other than new with SL.

I wish I had known - dd would have loved it for K. We actually stopped mid-year this year when I was given a old Core A and restarted 1st to use SL.

I know! It just seems like the most convenient package, and I love how detailed and thorough the IG's are.

Anyone else? I guess the main thing I want to know is about the LA and if it is considered a good program for the learning the read stage. Although it might be a waste of time since it is getting revamped. I may have to wait until someone has used the new LA on a Kinder. I want to know now though!!! :lol:

I will tell you that I bought the whole kit & caboodle, and ditched the LA almost immediately. NOT great at all. I'm back to OPGTR & ETC. I have also subbed out the math. So it has basically turned into a readaloud program. They have such great readalouds, but that's all I am using it for.

Even most SL'ers don't recommend the multisubject package (used to be called the newcomer's package).

I'm using Core D (3) now. I'm not using the LA (or other multisubject choices). They tend to expect a lot more writing than I think is developmentally appropriate. Take a look at the LA1 samples. In the first few weeks, they have the kid copying two+ sentences! This is in addition to HWT (or other handwriting program) and ETC. My oldest would not have been able to handle that much at that point. We had to work up to copying 3 sentences by the END of the first grade year.

I do plan to use P4/5 with DS2 next year for K. Again, I'll use my own LA. For one thing, they tie the LA to the readers. How many kids are same level for reading/writing, especially when they expect more writing out of the kids than is normal for the age? Back to DS1... In first grade, he would have been ready for the Readers 3 package. I think LA3 teaches writing paragraphs? My middle son is ready for the Readers 1 package, and I think he could probably do ok with LA1, but the whole thing seems like a bit of a waste. We're using Dancing Bears, which is going well. I don't really need canned readers. Once we get done with the stories in DB, we'll move on to regular library books, and we already have the Dr. Seuss books in that package.

As far as other subjects go... I don't have any desire to use Horizons or Teaching Textbooks. I'm happy with Singapore (Standards edition, which they don't carry). I also have children that are never in the same grade in every subject, so I can't just buy a "second grade package". That would never work here.

I do like the Sonlight Core though, and it's not hard to add my other things to it. Sonlight also isn't really that expensive. It's the BOOKS that are expensive. Any curriculum that provides that many books is going to cost more. Thankfully, many are available at the library, thrift stores, or used on Amazon. I'm doing Core D for about $100, including purchase of the used IG. My library has as many as 23 copies of some of those books! :001_huh:

No, & if I had it to do again I still wouldn't. :lol: I'd still do FIAR for K- 1or 2 & then move into Sonlight. :)

Ideally, I'd do FIAR with SL P34, P45, and Core A books integrated in until my child is ready for Core B. HOWEVER, I have yet to make that happen.

I don't seem to be able to do FIAR with trying to do too much and burning out. So, my kids may get a few FIAR units but SL is our base that I always come back to. My DS8 and DS9 are halway through Core D and DD4 will start P45 in the fall. If I get around to a little FIAR great, but if not I'm not going to worry.

We used SL last year with dd who was 7 then. We didn't buy the whole multi subject package, but did do the core plus LA. I hated the LA. I see that they are revamping...I’m curious what it will be. If the LA was good, I would have totally kept going with it. My dd still loves the books and grabs them off the bookshelf on a regular basis to read. She did Core 1+2 with advanced readers. Now, I'm wishing that I could combine my girls and do more of the SL stuff. Unfortunately, dd2 is almost 7, so not quite old enough for the next core package. I'm thinking I might wait a year and then combine them on Core D. They both really love to read and I can see that it would be a great program for our family. I would probably stick with WWE & FLL for LA, unless SL LA gets intensely better.

I just couldn't figure out where they were going with the LA and the examples they gave for paragraphs were things I'm not sure I know a lot of adults could put down on paper coherently. I wasn't sure whether dd was massively behind or if my expectations were totally off. Now I know better, reading reviews, but I was a little terrified there in the beginning.