Menu

Draw and Write Through History?

m0mmaBuck

I haven't used it ... but I thought about it. I decided to use Draw Write Now for my 7 yr old, instead. He loves it! If your child is older, I think the Draw and Write through History looks good ... we aren't doing cursive, yet, so that was part of our reason to wait on that.

I bought this for my daughter who loves to draw and uses her Draw Write Now books all the time. She didn't end up using it as much as I would have liked. I think that we both forgot about it. :glare:

The first book includes cursive copywork and instructions for drawing:

Plant

Tree

Dinosaur

Adam and Eve

Noah's Ark

Giraffe

Wooly Mammoth

Tower of Babel

Pyramid

Mummy

Sphinx

Silkworm Moth

Giant Panda

Joseph

Moses

Frogs

Locusts

Quail

Ark of the Covenant

Trojan Horse

David

Sheep

Phoenician Ship

Sperm Whale

I wish that I had been more organized with including it with our curriculum as I think that my daughter would have enjoyed it. :001_smile:

Angela

I don't use them as written -- but we keep them as a resource and sometimes pull them out to draw something related to a history lesson (or just let the kids use them as the fancy strikes). I'm not crazy about the text in the books, but the drawings are great.

Thanks for the input. I like the idea. I just don't know if I would implement them in any way...

Since we do a lot of writing related to history, I will occasionally assign a drawing *instead* of a writing assignment. As I said, I don't pay much attention to the text in DWtH, but we do make good use of the drawing. It's a nice break from narrating / outlining / summarizing / timelining / mapping while still reinforcing what we've learned. :)

Since we do a lot of writing related to history, I will occasionally assign a drawing *instead* of a writing assignment. As I said, I don't pay much attention to the text in DWtH, but we do make good use of the drawing. It's a nice break from narrating / outlining / summarizing / timelining / mapping while still reinforcing what we've learned. :)

Thank you! That was actually one of of my thoughts when I saw the program. I'm hoping to make HS'ing a little more fun for everyone involved next year and my kids (at least DD) love to draw. I was thinking it might cover me a little bit for art too since that is an area in which we remain eternally deficient.

:iagree:

Thank you! That was actually one of of my thoughts when I saw the program. I'm hoping to make HS'ing a little more fun for everyone involved next year and my kids (at least DD) love to draw. I was thinking it might cover me a little bit for art too since that is an area in which we remain eternally deficient.

I plan out when we will use drawings from this (or Draw Write Now). We don't use the text, usually. It takes us one sitting to draw the item & one or more sittings to color/shade it. (The coloring/shading is where the beauty comes in, IMO.)

I use it as a supplement, for some artistic teaching (shading, perspective, etc.), or instead of a writing (written narration) assignment for my artsy one. We are doing "History Notebooks" this year to go along with our American History. This is one of the things that ends up in our History Notebooks!

I usually do the drawing right along with them so they can see that mine isn't perfect, either. :tongue_smilie: