Menu

Neck Pain in Child

My 10 yoDD has been complaining of neck pain and stiffness for several days (since last Monday actually). She woke up with her neck hurting and we thought she slept wrong. We have tried ice packs and heat packs (although I admit we're a bit lazy with it and not very consistent) and ibuprofen at night (which is when it bothers her the most). She has used pillows prior to the neck pain, but now sleeps flat on the bed since it's the most comfortable.

She is asking to go to the doctor and I typically cave when they say the pain is so bad they want to see him. Before making the appointment tomorrow, I was hoping that some on here would have some ideas on things to try.

I do plan to eliminate all computers/games today as I'm wondering if she's spent too much time hunched over an ipad/kindle and do ibuprofen for the entire day, rather than just night.

She has no other problems, no sore throat, fever, headache, etc. I have let her continue phyical activities, including soccer on Tues night and karate on Wed night (although she participated a bit slower than usual).

Any other ideas?

Can she touch her chin to her chest and turn her head side to side (even if it hurts?) If she can, and has no fever, then is probably NOT more than a sore neck - any possibility she has whiplash? When we were in a collision years ago I had it and it was a long-lasting stiff, sore neck.

If it hurts enough for her to ask to see a doctor, I'd take her in. She may well feel a bit better if she can be reassured by a professional that is is just a sore neck (and might listen more to a doctor saying to stay off the 'puter, etc. ;-)

Can she touch her chin to her chest and turn her head side to side (even if it hurts?) If she can, and has no fever, then is probably NOT more than a sore neck - any possibility she has whiplash? When we were in a collision years ago I had it and it was a long-lasting stiff, sore neck.

If it hurts enough for her to ask to see a doctor, I'd take her in. She may well feel a bit better if she can be reassured by a professional that is is just a sore neck (and might listen more to a doctor saying to stay off the 'puter, etc. ;-)

She can't completely touch it to her chest or turn it all the way left or right. Nor can she look at the ceiling. She has limited mobility in all directions.

I want to stress that she isn't 'sickly' and her entire day is normal except in activities that involve her neck (she is a bit slower). I worried about meningitis but she has none of the symptoms (other than neck) and I would think she would at least have a fever. (Plus, it's been going on for seven days now).

It does resemble whiplash, but I have no clue where it could have come from. The plan is still to take her in to our doctor if I can't get her much better today.

I'd take her to the Dr and have them check for strep. I had it in high school once and started out with similar symptoms. It wound up paralyzing my neck and shoulder and spread halfway up the left side of my face.

The antibiotics kicked in and it cleared up soon after but it scared me to death and it frustrates me when my Ped's assistant Dr won't take strep seriously in my kids.

It probably isn't strep but based on my experience I'd rather have it ruled out.

I would give ibuprofen every 4-6 hours for a full day or two to see if it made a difference. Massage might help her, too, as might osteopathic manipulation or a chiropractic adjustment. Many DOs just practice conventional medicine, so you do need to ask, but some do the manipulation, too. It is more effective than chiropractic because it uses the person's own muscles to move the misaligned bones back into place, rather than force. However, since osteopaths who do this can be hard to find, you may want to ask around to find a good chiropractor - some are very gentle. As a child and young adult, I woke with stiff neck and unable to turn my head a number of times, and even with ibuprofen I needed to see a chiropractor to get relief. Without chiropractic help it lasted several long, painful weeks.

:grouphug: to your dd. I hope you find something to help her soon.

I'd take her in pronto. Dd had the same sort of thing. She was fine - then she came home from preschool with a sore neck. It turned out to be a subluxation of her C6. Funny enough - the ER didn't catch it but the radiologist looking at the CT scan did the next day. Treatment was valium and a neck brace, but left untreated it could have been bad.

Now I'm completely paranoid about neck pain. The poor drs think I'm crazy - sublux isn't very common apparently in normal, healthy children. It's more common in Down's Syndrome children. The dr. said more than likely dd had an infection that caused her lymph nodes to be swollen and allowed the vertebrae to 'slip' out of place.

In the meantime - try epsom salt soaks!

She can't completely touch it to her chest or turn it all the way left or right. Nor can she look at the ceiling. She has limited mobility in all directions.

I want to stress that she isn't 'sickly' and her entire day is normal except in activities that involve her neck (she is a bit slower). I worried about meningitis but she has none of the symptoms (other than neck) and I would think she would at least have a fever. (Plus, it's been going on for seven days now).

It does resemble whiplash, but I have no clue where it could have come from. The plan is still to take her in to our doctor if I can't get her much better today.

Regarding the bolded...

The only time I've had whiplash was when I did it to myself. :glare: I was 20yo. I went out to my car, opened the driver's side door, and reached in to get something off of the passenger seat. I didn't duck my head enough, and whacked my forehead VERY forcefully on the door frame. It was VERY painful. But not as painful as the next morning, when I could hardly move my neck. It took me a day or two to piece it all together. I tried a chiropractor, but eneded up going to my regular doc and just getting some pain meds. :tongue_smilie:

And yes, I am still that clumsy. :D

I know whiplash is something most people associate with being in a car accident, but there are other ways to get it. You mentioned she plays soccer; could she have done something to her head or neck while playing?

Either way, seven days is a long time to have such persistent pain; I'd take her in.