Menu

One Year Adventure Novel

I am looking at this with my 14 year old. He wants to be a writer so I think he would love this. He has used IEW off and on but is not a strong writer and hasn't done any creative writing. I am not sure if this program would be a good fit for him at this point or should he use something else first?

HSBC's latest newsletter indicated that they may be offering the One Year Adventure Novel at a discount soon. So, you might want to wait and check out their price. ;)

They had it last summer, about a month after I bought it. My DS has loved OYAN. He has done NaNoWriMo twice now, but didn't have a lot of creative writing experience. It takes him a long time to get this done each week. He probably averages about 10 hours/week, but it is one of his favorite subjects along with Japanese.

Edited by Momto2Ns
Typo on hours,

Don't forget there is forum access included with OYAN. Lots of the kids make friendships there and are encouraged and motivated by the other students. My oldest also participates in their 4 day summer workshops in Olathe, KS each summer. There are webinars, too, during the school year.

Blessings,

Cathy M.

Don't forget there is forum access included with OYAN. Lots of the kids make friendships there and are encouraged and motivated by the other students. My oldest also participates in their 4 day summer workshops in Olathe, KS each summer. There are webinars, too, during the school year.

Blessings,

Cathy M.

My son is involved in all of this too. OYAN had been a wonderful blessing for him. It has tons of writing help that I really wish I had as I was learning about writing. I am really impressed with the program, it is excellent. It, the forum and the workshop have been huge in my son's life. He loves it all!

I'm so glad to hear good reviews! My son, almost 13yo, wants to try this next year. Thanks for the tip about HSBC's sale.

Do you think it would be too much to do some major essay work during the same year?

We did OYAN as a creative writing credit, completely separate from English. He still read and did regular writing assignments. It was a lot though, so I would watch for overload.

Could anyone comment on the differences between the NaNoWriMo books and OYAN? Differences either in content (what is taught) or approach (how the content is taught)? Why would you choose to do NaNoWriMo first before doing OYAN?

Because they are free? I've flipped through the Nano books and they are good, but basic. OYAN seems more thorough, just at a flip through the TOC. However, it's also pricey. IMO, Creative writing isn't one of those things that you can force a child to do. Many kids may not really know if they're willing to put in the work until they attempt with a basic book first.

Because they are free? I've flipped through the Nano books and they are good, but basic. OYAN seems more thorough, just at a flip through the TOC. However, it's also pricey. IMO, Creative writing isn't one of those things that you can force a child to do. Many kids may not really know if they're willing to put in the work until they attempt with a basic book first.

:iagree:

I can think of two advantages to NaNo WriMo. the first is that it is free! The second is that it only lasts about 2 months, one for pre- writing, one for writing. OYAN is a huge commitment. It is expensive and can't be resold. It takes a lot of time and effort on the part of the student. It is four months of pre-writing and four months of writing. It is much more in depth, immaculately put together. From the packaging, to the DVD quality, it is exceptional, but you pay for that.

Do students need to do NaNo first? Not at all. It is just a good indicator if OYAN will really be a good fit.

:iagree:

I can think of two advantages to NaNo WriMo. the first is that it is free! The second is that it only lasts about 2 months, one for pre- writing, one for writing. OYAN is a huge commitment. It is expensive and can't be resold. It takes a lot of time and effort on the part of the student. It is four months of pre-writing and four months of writing. It is much more in depth, immaculately put together. From the packaging, to the DVD quality, it is exceptional, but you pay for that.

Do students need to do NaNo first? Not at all. It is just a good indicator if OYAN will really be a good fit.

Yes, it is. It takes a LOT of time to work through.

Yes, it is. It takes a LOT of time to work through.

I've actually enjoyed the reassurance that OYAN takes everyone's kids a lot of time not just mine. Mine is not a fast worker, but the time he has put into has ranged from 5-20 hours per week, probably averaging about 10. He loves it though. I've offered to table it for awhile telling him he has already spent more than enough hours to earn a credit and he is horrified:lol:.

The only other thing he has ever enjoyed as much is Irasshai for Japanese. He is an odd child.;)