Menu

Can anyone recommend a Mandarin program?

cjgrubbs

We are in process of adopting from China. Since we are open to an older child, probably 3-5, we would like to learn to speak Mandarin - at least some basics. My kiddos really want to be able to speak the language to their new sibling.

Can anyone recommend something? We probably have 9 months - 12 months before we will travel.

I'd very much recommend finding a native Chinese speaker - it's vital to get the tones right. Your new teacher may have ideas about curriculum.

Laura

:iagree:

The new sibling will likely lose their language very quickly without a native speaker around them. (At least that's been my experience with older adoptees)

And it will take a long time for you to be able to "speak it". Unless you have a true passion to learn and keep learning I would just get flash cards of common items that will help with the transition. Chinasprout.com has a lot of these.

I know Better Chinese is used (and we really like it too) at a Chinese immersion school in MN.

Our daughter (now almost 8, but came home at 14 months so not speaking) takes lessons at a local Chinese church. She goes for 2 hours each Sunday and has homework through the week. She still doesn't speak well...well, actually they say she does great but she doesn't have confidence to do it outside of very small circles. This is her 3rd year.

The Chinese in our area are very welcoming to us. They adore our girls and are more than willing to speak Mandarin with them. I'm sure we could get a tutor very cheap if we wanted to. I can't imagine learning without a native speaker.

And that would probably be the fastest way to get your entire family up to speed quickly. But still....it's work. A friend of ours did this too....and then was matched with a child that spoke Cantonese. Sigh. They could manage, but it ended up not being as necessary as they thought.

And add to that that your child might be living with Spainish foster parents. That happened with another friend.

And most likely, they are somewhat preparing your child with some English too.

None of this to discourage you. As I'm one of the ones that really wanted to learn just because I did. :).

And congratulations!!!! I would love to be paperchasing again.

*ETA - I stopped learning as soon as we landed back home. I had no where near the time required to learn. :)

Edited by mom2hunangirls

I love Integrated Chinese. It is an AP/college text set. That paired with a native speaker and you would be set. That said, my dd was 12 months and spoke/understood a dialect that the guide, who spoke Mandarin and Cantonese, didn't understand. She is almost 9 now and has been taking Mandarin with a private tutor for 2 or 3 years plus kiddie classes when she was younger. She uses a book series completely in Chinese from a nearby heritage school.

We tried Better Chinese but it really helps to have a native speaker. I got some cards for when we traveled to China. They were adoption specific and really came in handy.

Hope that helps!

I'd very much recommend finding a native Chinese speaker - it's vital to get the tones right. Your new teacher may have ideas about curriculum.

Laura

:iagree:This is absolutely the most important factor! My mil is trying to teach herself Chinese so she can use it when she visits us. Although she has memorized lots of vocab and grammar, her pronunciation is (to be honest) horrible and not-understandable. The tones are essential!!! They change the meaning of the word. And, there are also new sounds that you have to practice making before you can correctly say anything. Especially if you are going to be talking to a young child, you want correct pronunciation over a wide range of vocabulary. I notice that young kids here rarely understood me until my pronunciation had significantly improved.

Her English will improve much more rapidly than your Mandarin, but I think it is wonderful that you want to learn it for her sake! I'm sure your efforts will be rewarded and help smooth her (and your) transition.

• 4 weeks later...

:bigear:

I have 2 Hunan spicy-girls (adopted at 14 months). They are starting to learn Mandarin with Mei-Mei videos and songs. I am looking for a tutor. I have the free trial with Better Chinese.

:lurk5:

ETA: I found a local Mandarin tutor who will use Better Chinese materials with my dds. I purchased the full BC program.

Edited by Beth in SW WA

I agree with getting a tutor if at all possible. Ask the tutor to teach you things you may want to say to her (such as "It's okay." "Are you hungry?" "I love you" "I am your mom" "This is your sister" etc).

Also, be prepared that your daughter may come from an area where a different dialect is spoken. Even if it is similar to Mandarin, it may be different enough to make it hard to understand each other.

If a tutor is not possible, I think Pimsleur audio is the fastest was to be able to say a few things. (At least for getting around China)

If you can, learn a few common songs & lullabies in Chinese as well. :)