Menu

Latin for 7th grade beginner

dd11 will be taking a bit off from a formal grammar program so we can have time to concentrate on Latin. Neither one of us has any experience in Latin. I would like her to use a program that will really teach the Grammar side of Latin along with vocabulary. What is out there that is for a beginner but not babyish?

Well, I can see using Lively Latin 1 with that age. It would be more self directed and a parent would be more in the role of checking the work rather than teaching. My son is a 6th grader and using LL2. He doesn't find it 'babyish' and the style etc of LL 1 and LL2 is exactly the same.

Latin Alive

First Form Latin

Both are excellent programs. Both come with DVDs, which I think are very helpful if you aren't well versed in Latin yourself. I don't think you could really go wrong with either one.

Classical Academic Press offers some fun videos and Latin flashcard games free on their Headventureland website. My kids like those a lot.

More levels of Memoria Press's Latin are written that Classical Academic Press's.