Menu

Please Help Me Find This...

I'm looking for: a simple, through grammar program that is not going to cost me a small fortune. I'd also love something that makes the study meaningful to the child...helps them understand the purpose of the study... and maybe gives them good literature to use for examples and references. Does this exist??:confused:

:iagree:

MCT is easy, inexpensive and effective.

I don't think MCT would count as inexpensive. It being expensive and not so easy to figure out are the two most common complaints I hear about MCT. I do see it consistently described as effective though.

KISS would prob be the closest match for what you want. It will take you a day or so to figure out how to use. I was all set with it but decided to go with R&S. It was a difficult decision. R&S is NOT literature based at all.

From what I've read in their catalog, it covers grammar by having the student read a passage from literature (Twain is one of the authors used) that are purposely incorrect. The student corrects the passage and then student and parent grade together, discussing the grammatical bits.

Like I said, we've never used this, but I have looked at the samples and it looks interesting.

I don't think MCT would count as inexpensive. It being expensive and not so easy to figure out are the two most common complaints I hear about MCT. I do see it consistently described as effective though.

I'm not talking about the entire curriculum, just the grammar. You really only need the student text and then the practice book; I think they're about $15 each. To me that's inexpensive. I can't imagine how they could be construed as difficult (again, I'm only speaking of the the grammar because the writing could be difficult to figure out). You read a little bit then practice a little bit until you're done. Then you simply do one of the exercises a day for the balance of the year. There really isn't any more to figure out than that. I've only done the first 3 levels so maybe it gets more difficult after that?

I'm not talking about the entire curriculum, just the grammar. You really only need the student text and then the practice book; I think they're about $15 each. To me that's inexpensive. I can't imagine how they could be construed as difficult (again, I'm only speaking of the the grammar because the writing could be difficult to figure out). You read a little bit then practice a little bit until you're done. Then you simply do one of the exercises a day for the balance of the year. There really isn't any more to figure out than that. I've only done the first 3 levels so maybe it gets more difficult after that?

ah, I understand. I was thinking you meant to recommend the whole program. People say it can be confusing to coordinate all the different books. I have also seen people posting here (and on the MCT list-serve) that they can't figure out what the assignments are or how to use the program. I didn't think any one part of the program would work independently of the others.