Menu

Define Flirting...

I had a conversation with 15dd about flirting today. I was surprised to find out that she thought behavior only counted as flirting if you really liked the person you were behaving flirtatious towards.

My older kids made no such distinction.

So how would you define flirting? How do your teens define flirting?

I have no teens, so I can't help you with that.

I think there at at least 2 levels, more likely three.

1. Flirting, when you obviously like someone and want to start something.

2. Flirting, when you and the other person enjoy and like each other, but aren't in the position to "go there" for any myriad of reasons.

3. Being Flirtatious, when you act a certain way that others think is flirting, but is unintentional or easily misconstrued. I know many people (myself included) who can fall into this category at any given moment. Most talkative women can be misinterpreted as flirtatious, just because of their personality and the person on the receiving end.

Then there is the other general flirting to get a deal on an oil change or something....and those that have that sexy pheremone ;)

2. Flirting, when you and the other person enjoy and like each other, but aren't in the position to "go there" for any myriad of reasons.

3. Being Flirtatious, when you act a certain way that others think is flirting, but is unintentional or easily misconstrued. I know many people (myself included) who can fall into this category at any given moment. Most talkative women can be misinterpreted as flirtatious, just because of their personality and the person on the receiving end.

Then there is the other general flirting to get a deal on an oil change or something....and those that have that sexy pheremone ;)

:iagree:

Flirting can be any behavior/action that the opposite sex thinks is a sign that you may be interested in them, whether or not the flirter knows that is the image they are portraying.

Intentional flirting is when one acts especially friendly and cozy toward another.

Edited by jadedone80
fix grammar

Maybe people watch with her at the mall or something? I think it can be hard for young girls to recognize how one does or doesn't turn on that light that signals flirting to men. I don't know a better way to describe it?

:iagree: I can't define it but I know it when I see it. My daughters and I have friends who are just naturally flirty and they don't even realize it, and they usually don't mean anything by it. There is just a certain tone of voice or look or friendliness that invites and is playful. One of the girls I know has no idea how to be flirty and her friends tried to teach her...awkward...

I would agree with this.

I was horrified to find out not that long ago that the son of our best friends here thought I was "in love" with his dad. Horrified.

Apparently, being a talkative & friendly female who makes eye contact, and the dad's particular style of joking, came across to the young boy as flirting. Whether or not it came across that way to the adults in question (the dad, his wife, my dh, etc.) I'm not sure; dh only ever admitted it could have been interpreted that way, but never said what he thought.

Definitely take her and people watch, lest she grow up as clueless about this as I was.

Wow, something to use for current events today for class. :D

I think girls who are used to hanging around guys can be viewed as flirtatious as well. Except for two girls, all my friends in high school were guys. We goofed around and joked in ways that could be viewed as flirting, sort of fell around number two, but it wasn't intentional flirting.

Flirting can be any behavior/action that the opposite sex thinks is a sign that you may be interested in them, whether or not the flirter knows that is the image they are portraying.

Intentional flirting is when one acts especially friendly and cozy toward another.