Menu

Nancy Larson Science Sticker Shock :(

:grouphug:

Sorry! We use NL Science and really enjoy it. I guess I haven't compared it to any other science programs to realize that it is a lot more expensive. :confused:

I do think that it is worth every penny though because it is a science program that actually gets done (a huge feat in our house ;)). :001_smile:

Sorry! We use NL Science and really enjoy it. I guess I haven't compared it to any other science programs to realize that it is a lot more expensive. :confused:

I do think that it is worth every penny though because it is a science program that actually gets done (a huge feat in our house ;)). :001_smile:

Could I ask a couple of questions? Which level are you using? How many lessons does it include? How long does each lesson take? Have you heard whether or not there will be additional levels? (I couldn't find any email address or I would have emailed these questions to the author.) Thanks!

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: I could not imagine doing any other science! it has EVERYTHING you need in a box and the majority is reusable for other kiddos or to sell when you are done.

I'm not too thrilled with it. I don't think it was worth the $225 and $20+ shipping. It might look like a lot of stuff in the picture. But, when it's all stacked together, it really isn't that much stuff. I was assured that my 8 year old (7 when we started) would still benefit and enjoy NL1. But...it seems more like a K level. Ugh....I can barely stand it. We will finish it, but I don't think I'll spend the money on level 2. We'll be switching to RSO Life with the kit from Home Science Tools.....it's less than half the price of NL.

We are doing NL Science 2 this year. It is not cheap, but for me it was worth finding a program that my son actually enjoys. He has learned a lot, and the customer service cannot be beat!

I'm sure there are other good materials out there, but if you could find NL used or save in another subject area, I think you be pleased.

Good-luck!

It took me a long time to push the button to order NL 2. In fact it took me until October to do it. I have not regretted it one bit. Both my girls love it and it is the only subject that they ASK to do. Almost every day that we do science they say, "I love this program" or "we are going to do this next year again". They have learned and retained so much. When considering this program, I really didn't know if they (or I for that matter) would enjoy the topics. That has not been an issue at all. The topics presented in they way NL does, has made it enjoyable for us all. I too like science now. One thing that you should consider is that you can sell it when you are done. Your investment is really quite minimal then.

I know the feeling. I felt that exact same way...but considering the fact that Science wasn't getting done at our home before NL...it is worth EACH AND EVERY penny. My kids are learning concepts and vocab words like crazy. They love it. I love how easy it is to pick up and do. There are VERY FEW things you need to find...a game board to make an inclined plane, a stapler to show an example of a lever, a plastic water bottle, (those kinds of things)...We are doing level 2 now and I have EVERY plan to do level 3 next year and 4 the following year...but it is VERY scripted and some people (like me) LOVE that...and others don't...so yo have to know your style and what you will like. Again, to me it is worth it.

Hm...you are definitely talking it up here. :D

I think my younger son would like it.

We do love NL. The lessons are short and easy to complete. Some days we don't get to it, so it's not a real big deal to do 2 the next day...but if you are interested in a more in depth review, you can read mine here (written last year....look at post #13)...

we just built a skeleton - Page 2 - The Well-Trained Mind Forums (aka Hive Mind)

I would halppily answer any other questions that anybody would have about our expereince with NL Science. Just email or PM me. thanks.

Kathy

Hm...you are definitely talking it up here. :D

I think my younger son would like it.

You and I typically like similar science programs though, and beyond just the price, it looks incredibly basic to me. Is that what you want for your 6 y.o.(I realize kids are different)?

When you say some writing, can you give me an example of what is required?

Have you used 1 year of it so far? I'm eying the 2nd grade one because have already covered many of the topics listed for 1st.

We are doing level 2 now...we are about 2/3 done. When I said "some writing" I meant that there is a worksheet with each lesson...sometime she has you writing one word to fill in a blank, sometime it's just circling the correct answer, sometime it is a short explanation why something is what it is. I have a 7 year old and a 10 year old who hates to write much, so this is perfect for us. The kids are asked to write vocab words on a certain sheet (usually 1-3 per lesson). Sometimes the kids are asked to draw or color an example of something learned in the lesson too. She does a great job of mixing up the way the written information is to be repeated . Does that answer your question?

You and I typically like similar science programs though, and beyond just the price, it looks incredibly basic to me. Is that what you want for your 6 y.o.(I realize kids are different)?

That is what I thought at first too....however, in my opinion, first off, if I don't get any other science done, then they get nothing, but since I can find the time to fit in NL, the kids are getting Science. Secondly, the sales reps are great at helping you find some other ways to enhance the lessons if you need to for your older kids while, keeping it simple for your younger ones. I just like having the curriculum all laid out for me, so I don't have to think too hard or collect the core things to make the program work. All of that being said, I think it has plenty of "meat" and lends itself well to being able to apply the concepts in everyday life.

I know the feeling. I felt that exact same way...but considering the fact that Science wasn't getting done at our home before NL...it is worth EACH AND EVERY penny. My kids are learning concepts and vocab words like crazy. They love it. I love how easy it is to pick up and do. There are VERY FEW things you need to find...a game board to make an inclined plane, a stapler to show an example of a lever, a plastic water bottle, (those kinds of things)...We are doing level 2 now and I have EVERY plan to do level 3 next year and 4 the following year...but it is VERY scripted and some people (like me) LOVE that...and others don't...so yo have to know your style and what you will like. Again, to me it is worth it.

I am curious as to what benefit you get from NL to praise the program so much. I researched NL Science last year and decided against it even though it does look fantastic. I am really only asking out of curiosity because I noticed every time a NL Science post comes up you are right there to jump in and praise the program so. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that at all. We all have a homeschool curriculum that we completely love and praise it as well. I am just curious as to whether you work for the publisher in any way. I know when I had written to the company asking for information, you were also the "homeschool mom" that I was referred to who had sent me an email.

Again, I am honestly just very curious and I have wondered this for some time now (ever since I was researching NL Science extensively). The price was really what threw me off and caused me to not purchase it.

I ended up going with Apologia Botany and just purchased the box of supplies from RR to go along with it since my whole thinking on going with NL to begin with is that it came with absolutely everything. I also wanted my DC to do more experiment type activities and NL didn't look very experiment driven, but more activity driven (if that makes sense). It also seemed much more comprehensive in that you have vocabulary words, but I just had my DC pull our vocabulary words from the Apologia text and define them.

Edited by parias1126

I just wanted to jump in and say that I really wanted to try NL Science too but the sticker shock was too much. The price, coupled with the fact that they don't have any homeschool stores carry it here in Canada (so I would have to buy directly from NL which would have cost me over $50 in shipping !!!) made it impossible for me.