Menu

Repeated ear infections and the road to tubes

Hyrum's had four or so infections that have cleared up, or seem to, with each antibiotic. We did amoxicillin, then augmentin, then suprax. He had a well check after the suprax and his ears were clear. We were back in the office today with more infection. This time we are doing a three-day course of rocephin.

Should I be thinking about tubes? My husband and I both had tubes as kids and it made quite a difference.

DS had tubes put in when he was 12 months old. He'd had ear infections all winter long, and even when they weren't infected they were still filled with fluid. I think tubes do more for the fluid than the actual infections. So if his ears are draining in between infections then maybe just stick with what you are doing? Have you asked his ped about it? It never hurts to talk with them about tubes. There are also non-surgical things to try before you resort to tubes. We tried everything we had heard about (dairy-free, garlic oil drops, chiropractor) because we didn't want to do surgery. But in the end none of that helped. I would definitely at least make a visit to a chiropractor before doing tubes.

Hope he feels better!

Our experience was different. My son had no infections and then one that we just couldn't get. We were on the fourth antibiotic when tubes were mentioned and they did referral for ENT. We changed a slew of things to avoid tubes and thought we had conquered the problem. His next infection, almost two years later, resulted in mastoiditis and tubes.

My sons ears simply couldn't drain it seems. He needed tubes and I regret that we waited.

In your case I'm guessing those ears aren't draining fluid. Have they done a tympanogram after infection to check for fluid? Further, I'm betting he's brewing or already has biofilms (some information here but it's all over the web) with resistant bacteria in the fluid he carries given all those antibiotics.

I think I'd try to drain the ears via massage (cranial sacral therapist or (maybe) a chiropratic could hopefully show you what to do).

If this continues, though, yes I'd consult ENT about tubes. I would not continue to do antibiotic after antibiotic. They aren't without effects. You really need the fluid to drain one way or the other.

Edited by sbgrace

I'm not sure these infections are all the same. If I had to guess, I'd assume that he is getting a simple-ish cold, but the fluid is not draining and then it infects.

I'll ask about a tympanogram after we complete the rocephin.

Really, I just want a full night's sleep...

Our experience was different. My son had no infections and then one that we just couldn't get. We were on the fourth antibiotic when tubes were mentioned and they did referral for ENT. We changed a slew of things to avoid tubes and thought we had conquered the problem. His next infection, almost two years later, resulted in mastoiditis and tubes.

My sons ears simply couldn't drain it seems. He needed tubes and I regret that we waited.

In your case I'm guessing those ears aren't draining fluid. Have they done a tympanogram after infection to check for fluid? Further, I'm betting he's brewing or already has biofilms (some information here but it's all over the web) with resistant bacteria in the fluid he carries given all those antibiotics.

I think I'd try to drain the ears via massage (cranial sacral therapist or (maybe) a chiropratic could hopefully show you what to do).

If this continues, though, yes I'd consult ENT about tubes. I would not continue to do antibiotic after antibiotic. They aren't without effects. You really need the fluid to drain one way or the other.

Have you tried eliminating dairy? Dairy allergy isn't always the reason for repeated ear infections, but it is often the case. It's something worth trying before doing tubes.

He does have a dairy allergy that manifested itself as reflux and blood in his diaper as a younger infant. We're already dairy-free. ;)

I'm not sure these infections are all the same. If I had to guess, I'd assume that he is getting a simple-ish cold, but the fluid is not draining and then it infects.

I'll ask about a tympanogram after we complete the rocephin.

Really, I just want a full night's sleep...

I think you're right. I should have been more specific. I think he's carrying fluid. The same fluid. And that fluid has now been exposed to a series of antibiotics. That's a recipe for biofilms if they aren't already in place (so there or brewing).

So I'm saying you need the fluid to drain one way or the other--massage, tubes, or something else. If that doesn't happen I think it's only a matter of time until you get to the chronic infection stage. I could be wrong on that part. But even if I am holding fluid that keeps getting infections and then doing antibiotics to get those still isn't without effect on him (GI especially) add to that the pain/sleep/etc. with ear infections.

I am curious to know if the doctor ever thought of watchful waiting with the infections? It may be past the point for that.

Have you tried eliminating dairy? Dairy allergy isn't always the reason for repeated ear infections, but it is often the case. It's something worth trying before doing tubes.

My daughter had nonstop ear infections from the time she was 6 months old until she was a year. She had tubes put in at 1 yo. They came out on their own within a month or two. She continued to have infections. I found a book called Healthing Childhood Ear Infections. I don't know if it was an ENT who wrote the book or if it was an ENT who was quoted in the book as saying that 70% of his patients' ear problems cleared up when dairy was removed.

We removed dairy and when we took her back for her follow-up appointment at the ENT two weeks later, there was no fluid in her ears for the first time ever. She was fine for about 2 years and then I gradually started adding dairy back to her diet thinking she'd outgrown the problem. I started out with a little and at first she seemed fine, but as I gave it to her more regularly, she again started with ear infections. The pediatrician, the ENT, my mother, and the allergist were all telling me it was not dairy and I so regret not following my instinct about my child.

She had many ear drum ruptures over the next six months, a set of tubes that came out on their own within a month and another set of tubes along with her adenoids removed that gave her no relief. She still had pus coming out of her ears a month after the 2nd set of tubes were in and one night when she was writhing in pain in my bed, I just finally was so desperate, I removed the dairy again.

She never had another problems with her ears, but I so regret what I put her through that period I had her back on dairy. It just makes me sick to think of it.

This may not be the problem with your child, but I share this so you can keep it in the back of your mind in case the tubes do not help. I know a lot of children whose ear problems are resolved with the tubes, but my daughter's clearly were not.

Lisa