Menu

please suggest a math program

LEK

My DD1 is currently in her first year of school (K) and incredibly good at math. So far we have done school for 6 weeks and already in this time she has finished 2 K level math programs (MUS and a complete math program used by our local school). We will obviously move onto grade 1 math but I am after suggestions for the best fit for her that maybe we have not yet tried. I currently have MUS alpha and singapore 1A and B which we will be giving a go.

I am after suggestions for the best math program with the following criteria:

1. minimal parent "teaching", she is very independent and wants to do it all herself which suits me as I have a preschooler and a small baby (MUS does work well, I just hand over the book and off she goes)

2. Thorough and rigorous but not overly repetitive. She gets math very quickly so i want something that covers everything well with enough repetition for mastery but not enough for boredom

3. Will provide her with some challenge and extend her math skills, so far everything is too easy, she gets is instantly and doesn't need to think. Something age appropriate but more challenging would be great.

And finally one last question. What math program have you found to work best with your math talented children?

TIA

I'd definitely suggest combining Singapore and Miquon.

I did them independently of one another, no scheduling or coordinating. Miquon (if done right, read the teacher books to get the idea) is very child led, which offers great independence for your independent learner.

SM + Miquon was one of my best curriculum choices in my entire hs career. Worked beautifully for all 3 dc. (All of whom are bright & mathy.)

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Singapore is great but requires more parent teaching as there is a teacher guide. Math Mammoth includes the teaching on the student sheet and is worded towards the child and not the teacher, so if your child can read they can do it totally independent and then you can just go over it with her. I am currently using it for my math advanced 5 year old and he seems to like it and is moving along well.

My DD1 is currently in her first year of school (K) and incredibly good at math. So far we have done school for 6 weeks and already in this time she has finished 2 K level math programs (MUS and a complete math program used by our local school). We will obviously move onto grade 1 math but I am after suggestions for the best fit for her that maybe we have not yet tried. I currently have MUS alpha and singapore 1A and B which we will be giving a go.

I am after suggestions for the best math program with the following criteria:

1. minimal parent "teaching", she is very independent and wants to do it all herself which suits me as I have a preschooler and a small baby (MUS does work well, I just hand over the book and off she goes)

2. Thorough and rigorous but not overly repetitive. She gets math very quickly so i want something that covers everything well with enough repetition for mastery but not enough for boredom

3. Will provide her with some challenge and extend her math skills, so far everything is too easy, she gets is instantly and doesn't need to think. Something age appropriate but more challenging would be great.

And finally one last question. What math program have you found to work best with your math talented children?

TIA

I suggest combining MUS with Singapore IP and CWP. She can do much of the MUS on her own and move ahead not doing all pages whenever she has mastered a concept quickly, then for extra practice you can work with her (or she can work alone perhaps) on the SM Intensive Practice and Challenging Word Problems.

That she is getting it quickly and so on, to me suggests that you have a good fit already -- and MUS is meant to be able to move forward at child's own pace, not every page needs to be done, as soon as child gets it, move on--not that you need to change to something else. I think adding on the SM IP and CWP will give that extra bit of challenge you are looking for.

As you can see in my Sig, MUS and SM word problems is what we do, and it seems to work well.

Edited by Pen

I use Horizons math as my main program which is one of the advanced programs. It is has a traditional approach which is different from the Asian-style math programs such as Singapore.

I also use it with Singapore's Challenging Word Problems, Mental Math, and (for summer) Extra Practice workbooks.

I recommend using the CWP regardless of which math program you choose. That is the best math supplement I have found.

Horizons is spiral and so incorporates a lot of review. I think that is a great positive in a math program.

Horizons requires teaching from the TM first and doing drill work with the child. This therefore would not be a program requiring minimal instruction from the parent, but then again I don't know any that are. Even though my kids are great at math, I wouldn't feel comfortable without going through all of the concepts with them when they are young.

Hope you find what you like.