Menu

Help! I don't know the proper protocol

My mother had ladies and men cleaning her home and working in her yard all of her life. She never "tipped" them, she gave them presents for Christmas, and something as a summer vacation gift. These increased over time, like any job. At some point, when a housekeeper, and once for a gardener, my dad would do their taxes, plus, pay their social security. Mother spent time and effort making sure her gifts were exactly what was needed: our sweet old lady babysitter needed a purse, so we bought two and she chose the one she liked.

In these days and times, I would give cash or a gift card as a gift, in a nice envelope. I give my mail lady and my UPS man gift cards to Target. I give them each $25, but I live in the country and they are my Amazon lifeline, and have been with me for years. I"m not sure if that's high or low, but its a lot for my budget. Their reaction tells me that its a lot.

Oh, I did think of a time you might give your cleaning lady extra pay: if she did something for you on the weekend. Mother might need someone to stay at the house during a funeral or wedding, or to help with a special event and, in that case, it would be like any job: overtime or off-schedule rate hike.

My mother was quite professional about these things, before her time, I think.

How do I find out her birthday? I mean besides just asking.

And how much on birthday and Christmas?

I only know my housekeeper's birthday because she's on facebook. lol

Pay differs depending on where you live. I give her basically a day's pay for those days in addition to what she makes for the day.