Menu

Must-have math manipulatives for K?

mo2

I have a degree in teaching mathematics (7-12). I've got to tell you, I really go against the grain (and my education) when it comes to manipulatives. I don't use many. I used to own cuisinaire rods and found them useless.

We did use a manipulative clock. And, I used real coins. Other than that, I have two cans full of lids in 5 different colors (like from milk jugs or vitamin bottles). These are most useful for teaching place value, though they work for ratios and a few other things. Other than that, a quick draw on the marker board is usually sufficient (using lots of colors to make distinctions).

IMO thorough rote memorization of math facts during the elementary years is far more important. It's really hard to understand algebraic concepts when you get hung up on how to factor 42.

(My oldest is working on Algebra 2 at the moment and the next one is working on Algebra 1...they're both doing very well).

But, with all that said, you really don't need to stress over math in Kindergarten. They can learn to count and do simple addition and work on telling time. If you decide you want a curriculum at some point, I've been happy with Horizons.

I used things I had around the house:

dried beans, in lots of colors and sizes

all kinds of fruit

measuring cups and spoons

dice

poker chips

tangram

buttons

real money

yard stick

clock

toys

chessboard

books

intro to angles was done with a pizza pan and two wooden spoons

we weigh things at the on the fruit scale at the grocery store

At one point a kindergarten teacher gave us some manipulatives she uses in class, but DD was not interested in them.

I found food the best manipulatives and highly motivational. We counted, did adding and subtracting, graphed, organized M&Ms, then the kids loved eating them.

I have also invested in lots of math manipulatives over the years, but in Kindergarten I didn't have a whole lot for my oldest dd.

My favourite manipulatives, which are easy to pull out and use over and over are:

- Math-U-See blocks

- junior balance

- linking blocks

- 3-D solids

- faction tiles or circles

- clock

- real coins (we keep both American and Canadian on hand as the Singapore Math has American)

I'm not a heavy manipulative user (oldest didn't use them at all), but my middle son has needed some. Cuisenaire rods have been the best fit for him. He started spouting off random addition facts before I even taught them because he'd played with the rods. :D He's making connections, like 8+2 is the same as 5+5, that sort of thing.

Other than that, real money, and straws and rubberbands for hundred chart work (bundle 10 straws for each ten on the chart).

We are using Singapore EM K, which is cheap. We both love it, with the C-rods added for addition/subtraction work.

I agree that you don't need too many manipulatives. I totally over-purchased in that department :glare:! They are just so colorful and FUN looking that I have a hard time resisting.

We do have lots of fun with pattern blocks, but other than that and the small clocks, you don't really need anything else. Anything can be used as counters, and legos can easily substitute linking cubes.

Also' date=' Legos make THE BEST C-Rods for K.[/quote']

:iagree:

Legos, legos, legos. Legos are great for math. You have different colors, you can lay them out & count them. You can stack 2 colors together to add them. You can do tens place, its endless. We use the square legos for math, the boys love using them for math.

Edited by mommyx5
add to quote