Menu

Can you explain the different reading programs to me?

Searching for a reading program for a dyslexic student is very confusing. For example you have programs like Barton and Wilson which have good results. I have also seen a lot of recommendations for Dancing Bears on this forum. Are all of these programs O-G programs? Is O-G also the same as Synthetic Phonics? Dancing Bears is much more reasonably priced than Wilson and Barton. Are they the same types of programs?

Thanks for the help!

I have only tried Dancing Bears.

My DS11 is doing so good with DB. I highly recommend it. This time last year he could read about nine words total. Now he's finished DB book A and has moved on to DB Book B! He has made so much progress, and I couldn't be happier! With the help of Dancing Bears he is reading, which is something six years of Special Education (IEP) couldn't accomplish.

I'm learning all this myself...but from what I gather they are different approaches. Barton and Wilson follow alot of rules whereas DB or the synthetic phonics is more pattern based with lots of repitition. Maybe someone else will give more detail. I just recently started using Apples and Pears spelling and will be ordering one of the reading programs in the next week or two.

Thank you ladies. I have been going back and forth over whether to go with Barton or Dancing Bears. I am still unsure as I don't know which will work better for my kids. :confused:

I like that Dancing Bears is so easy to implement but it seems too good to be true. Barton is pricey but has lots of testimonials of good results. Decisions, decisions.....

Sorry to hijack this thread:D, but this is where I am wavering too. DS has made such great progress with reading using an Orton-Gillingham type of approach. Progress is spelling has been much slower.

How do I know if/when to switch from a rules based type of spelling program (like AAS) to something that seems to be more pattern based, like Apples and Pears or Words Their Way? I did read the previous post about The Mislabeled Child book. I will have to borrow this from the local library.

Sorry to hijack this thread:D, but this is where I am wavering too. DS has made such great progress with reading using an Orton-Gillingham type of approach. Progress is spelling has been much slower.

How do I know if/when to switch from a rules based type of spelling program (like AAS) to something that seems to be more pattern based, like Apples and Pears or Words Their Way? I did read the previous post about The Mislabeled Child book. I will have to borrow this from the local library.

If your DS is making progress with the reading program he's using, then you should probably stick with that program.

I tried a few other highly recommended reading programs before I tried Dancing Bears. I actually almost didn't buy DB because I thought the name didn't sound very professional. Boy would that have been a mistake! DB holds my boy's attention because the stories are so strange. There is a ton of repetition but it's not done in an obvious manor.

About spelling - There isn't any guarantee a program will work for your child, the best you can do is look at the samples and give it a go. I know for my DS11, ruled based spelling would go in one ear and out the other because there are too many exceptions to the rules.

why not buy one Dancing Bears book? If it doesn't work it will sell on the boards here.

I should do that b/c it isn't really expensive. :)

houseofkids&pets - We had the same trouble w/AAS. It worked great for my oldest who had no reading issues. My dyslexic kids - no way! They don't do well with rules which is why DB appeals to me. Regardless of what reading program I go with, I plan to do Apples & Pears for spelling b/c I think it will work for them. We are doing VT right now so I am going to wait until we finish with that and work on reading a little more before I start spelling.

My other favorite reading program is the I See Sam readers. http://www.iseesam.com or http://www.3rsplus.com These work really well too. They are all stories with no drill work and can easily be used instead of along with the Dancing Bears. Very reasonably priced and can be resold. The first 2 sets can be printed off free on line as well.

I LOVE the Apples and Pears spelling and would say to try that no matter what reading program you go with.