Menu

CLE math!

HappyGrace

First, the background-as a curriculum junkie, I own bits and pieces of almost every elementary math program out there that I've picked up along the way, so I've seen a lot of them, and used part of many of them. So I'm pretty familiar with quite a few elem. math programs. (I guess math is *my* weak point, so I've overcompensated!) And you've heard it before but let me say it again-they'll all get you to the same place eventually, just in a different way!

Dd8 primarily used RS A, B and about half of C. Starting in B, we added in CLE 1 (light units 105-110) for spiral review, which was a nice fit. After MUCH researching (looking extensively at other programs, hanging out on the CLE yahoo group, etc.), we decided to go with all CLE for now. The company was very nice about immediately emailing me a good variety of samples of 3rd grade and up so I could see where the program headed.

I just got my CLE2 in the mail, and I LOVE it! It's 10 thin Light Unit workbooks (about 17 lessons per wkbk) and a TM. (The first LU is always a review of the previous yr and since we don't break from math, I skipped that one, so we have 9 LUs.) I also got the laminated reference page, which is very nice, on the recommendation of others here. The flashcard system they use is great. It is so well thought out! We really need to reinforce facts (I wasn't good about doing the RS games, and that's their fact practice) so I was really happy about them.

I'd say CLE is almost a cross between Saxon and Horizons, the best of both worlds. They don't use the number line as much as Horizons does, which I like. It doesn't have the large (overwhelming!) amount of problems that Saxon has. It's just the right amount. It's not as colorful as Horizons, which may be a plus or a minus, depending on your child. There are light teacher helps and answers in the TM, but they actually direct a lot of the instruction TO the child in the workbook. (I will of course go over it with her too, at this age.) In my opinion, you still need the TM, especially at the younger ages! It is very spiral-a lot of the lesson is review of previous lessons, but it's not at all overwhelming, and keeps the old material fresh. (Lack of this was a problem for us in RS.) There is a speed drill for every lesson, if you wish. It has a short cklist at the beginning of each lesson for the child to complete-some warm-up work (count by 5's to 100), do whatever flashcards for that day, do their speed drill, and record the results on a chart. It works well for us that some of the responsibility starts to shift to the student like this, and would be great for busy moms.

Each Light Unit starts with a brief one-page reading about the theme for that unit, and the problems in the whole unit lightly tie in to the theme. The first one, for example, is about fall and a family that sells pumpkins and some of the problems are about the pumpkin selling (money) or graphing how many they sell, etc. But it's not quirky or overbearing or cutesy-just nice and engaging. Another LU has a theme about Grandparents' Day and some of the problems tie in two children and their grandparents. I love that it has some Biblical principles tied in. Again, I must stress that it is not babyish or dumb! Very well done. The later grades are even better in this respect, with the stories about missionaries in other lands, etc., so they're learning little tidbits about other cultures, etc., as a bonus.

The math itself is so gentle but well-presented. I was worried there wouldn't be enough conceptual work coming from RS, but was happily surprised. It does well with conceptual presentation-for example, when they teach 15-9, they teach it that you can think "one more than 15-10," which is easier to do mentally, and why this is so. It covers geometry, money, time, etc. It even starts to do some basic algebraic thinking, which will serve them well later.

The company itself says that CLE is about a grade level ahead, and I've heard that here before too. I would agree with that assessment based on comparing it to other math programs.

My dd says that the CLE has been very helpful to her in cementing her facts, etc. She likes the program better than any others we've tried/seen. It has definitely helped her retention. That being said, I would still recommend going with a manip-based program for K and 1st grade at least before moving to CLE. I will do RS A and B with ds5 because you can't beat the conceptual foundation and mathematical understanding of place value, etc., that that gives!

I want to thank everyone here who gave info previously about CLE math because it's not one I probably would have known about otherwise. I hope this little review helps someone!

We like it here too. My 7 year old twins just started CLE 301 and they are loving it. They tested way above average in math. My 9 year old is in CLE 406 and while he does not like it, he is doing very well in it, so we are sticking with it. My 12 year old is completing CLE math 7 but we will be doing Lial's BM for review before starting Math Relief or Chalkdust Algebra 1.

We are also doing CLE reading but we couldn't stand the LA so we are back to Rod and Staff.

Now, How did it come up with a thumbs down sign. It is WAY THUMBS UP.

Elmeryl

about why I like the flashcards so much:

They don't have them do a million a day-just some. And they're in a small file box labeled A, B, C, etc., and they tell the child right in their checklist-"do your A and G flashcards" and they alternate the cards every day so they're going through them all on a regular basis. But you as the parent don't even have to think about it because they have worked the rotation all out for the child and they do it on their own. That's for 2nd grade. Then if you turn the cards upside down, they use them differently for 1st grade, where you put them in the file box in sections-unused, M, T, W, etc., problem cards, etc., and then as they teach the fact, they put the card from the unused part into the rotation so they start quizzing that card every so often. It's just so cleverly done.

I also forgot to add in my review that when they teach a new fact in the book, they have them do it all four ways right away: 4+3=7, 3+4=7, 7-4=3, 7-3=4. Then they have a triangle right next to it with a 7 in the top angle, and a 3 and a 4 in each of the bottom angles. I like that because it ingrains right away that addition and subtraction are inverse operations. RightStart does that with the part/whole circles and I think it's very important.

:iagree:

we love it here too! we switched from Rod and Staff to CLE, we are doing the 2nd grade, it is a perfect fit for the kids and everything that I wanted.

we are also doing CLE Reading, Bible and Language arts, the kids love the 2nd grade bible, short stories with either a puzzle, word search, coloring activity, etc.

We love it here, too! We switched from MUS, but have used many other programs as well. If I had to do it over, I would still do Miquon or MUS in early grades, and then switch to CLE for 3rd or 4th and up.

CLE works really well for my dd. She says, "Math is easy now!" I attribute this to all the practice and drill.

Have any of you switched from Singapore to CLE? I love Singapore math and I think it will a great fit for my ds. My dd just really doesn't like math.

Jan

I have done the opposite... switched from CLE to Singapore. Unless your daughter *needs* daily review of past topics, I wouldn't make her switch to CLE. My ds was very relieved to switch from CLE to Singapore. To him, the CLE lessons were not as interesting and longer. I think it comes down to whether you need a mastery or a spiral/incremental curriculum. My ds does better with a chapter on each topic than a daily lesson which reviews many topics.

I have done the opposite... switched from CLE to Singapore. Unless your daughter *needs* daily review of past topics, I wouldn't make her switch to CLE. My ds was very relieved to switch from CLE to Singapore. To him, the CLE lessons were not as interesting and longer. I think it comes down to whether you need a mastery or a spiral/incremental curriculum. My ds does better with a chapter on each topic than a daily lesson which reviews many topics.

Thank you that helps. I talked to my dd and she doesn't want to switch so we will stay with Singapore math. I am considering some other CLE subjects for next year though.

Jan

Thank you for your post. I have really been curious about this. I barely had the chance to look at CLE stuff at the bookfair because their booth was mobbed! But DH and I agreed that we want a more Americanized program for next year, straightforward. But he does not need a lot of review. He also likes to work independently so we need ALL the instructions on how to solve problems in the books he sees.

What do you think? Would this be good for him?

this will not be a good program for him at all. The majority of the work each day is review, with something new tacked on. This is a perfect program for dc who need a lot of spiral like that. Other dc who don't need it-it will drive them crazy! For your other question, the solutions are in a separate book, which you could give to him to ck his answers.

I don't know a lot about it, but you might want to ck into Teaching Textbooks, from what you described. It's a totally independent computer-based math program that has all the answers and solutions for every problem. I'm not the one to ask about it though-you may want to ck old posts about it. I do remember hearing it's not terribly rigorous so you definitely need to do the placement test because many dc go up a grade in it. Plus I don't know if it's a mastery type program, which sounds like what your dc may need since he doesn't need a lot of review.

Thank you for your post. I have really been curious about this. I barely had the chance to look at CLE stuff at the bookfair because their booth was mobbed! But DH and I agreed that we want a more Americanized program for next year, straightforward. But he does not need a lot of review. He also likes to work independently so we need ALL the instructions on how to solve problems in the books he sees.

What do you think? Would this be good for him?

If you need an Americanized program with less review, I would actually take a look at BJU math. I think all the review in CLE may drive him batty! BJU math would be worth a look-see.

Well, the good thing about CLE is that you have the option to cross out what you dont need/want dc to do. Leaving left what they do need (as far as review). It is great having drill/lessons/review all in one book (this is what drove me crazy with BJU...having to use 2-3 different books).

Also, this is one of the best programs that i have found for fostering math independence. The lessons can be taught right from the light unit.

I just wanted to make you aware that you dont HAVE to do ALL the problems in a CLE lesson....but, what is nice is that it keeps things fresh for the ones you do choose to do. We would never remember to go over measurement equivilents and other random things if it werent in the lessons.

Its also nice to know that it is in line with nat'l scope and sequence (if not ahead).

One last thing, is that it has the timed drills in the back which (again) wouldnt get done if they werent a part of the lessons.

I just like how it is streamlined!