Menu

Singapore...Primary Mathematics or Standars edition?

TwoToSchool

I just gave my 3 older kids the Singapore assessment for math. I noticed, however that there are different types of "singapore', but I was unable to find an explanation regarding the differences between them. Can anyone explain the differences between 'Singapore Math 3rd US edition series" and "Primary Mathematics standard edition" ? Thanks!

Std align with CA standard. has more topic, more reviews/practice. it sequence a bit different than US edition. Std cover a bit more pre algebra concept like neg number. covers statistic/probability

also STD is all color through 6B, US is not after 2

Edited by jennynd

I just gave my 3 older kids the Singapore assessment for math. I noticed, however that there are different types of "singapore', but I was unable to find an explanation regarding the differences between them. Can anyone explain the differences between 'Singapore Math 3rd US edition series" and "Primary Mathematics standard edition" ? Thanks!

The Standards Edition has more content, more built-in review (nowhere near what you're finding in Saxon), it advances the introduction of certain concepts vs the US Edition, and covers a few topics that the US Edition does not. The SE HIGs (Home Instructors Guides) are supposed to be substantially better as well.

I prefer the SE. The additional practice and review (while still tending on the light-side) are helpful here. Some others prefer the more stripped down feel of the US Edition. Both teach the same Singapore Math Model.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
Typo

Either edition will work, it depends on what's most important to you. I prefer the US Ed. because it lines up with the Intensive Practice workbooks. Since dd does them in conjunction with the tb/wb I like them to line up. If you use them as review, then it's not important that they line up exactly and you might prefer the SE Higs and added color and review.

We picked the stds edition for the additional content on negative numbers and prealgebra topics covered. There are many threads comparing and contrasting the two options.

The US edition is cheaper and easier to find however.

The US Edition is cheaper per book because there is less content. But the Standards Edition is less expensive on a price per page basis. I would argue the SE is the better value.

Bill