Menu

remediating math....

Mommyfaithe

Before I go one step further with my 10 year old dd, I need to remediate her math. All of my efforts to instill a solid math education for her are returning void...:banghead:

I am at a loss as to what to do next...she is stumped by EVERYTHING....did you know that a foot had 30 inches??? She instisted....:banghead:

and she couldn't remember her 5 times tables....oy vey.

This is not just summeritis...we have been working on learning even basic facts since she was 4....

I really would like to find a way to remediate this over the summer without making her feel like she is doing "baby" work.

Any and all suggestions are welcome....

Are there any programs out there that are sequential without having a grade level on them??

Thanks,

faithe

MUS has levels Alpha,Beta, etc. with no grade levels. Alpha is single digit adding and subtracting, Beta is double digit. It is mastery based. You master or learn one set of facts before moving on. My kids have done Alpha over 1st and half of second and then a year for each level after that.

This is not just summeritis...we have been working on learning even basic facts since she was 4....
There are some people out there who just can't learn math facts; I'm not saying your daughter is necessarily one of them, but 6 years is an awful long time...

Does she have effective strategies to figure out facts she cannot recall immediately? Dr. Cotter teaches strategies in Right Start that are designed for: (1) kids to use until they reach automaticity; or, (2) people to use who cannot reach automaticity.

How is she with concepts? Does she have problems there too, or it is just with facts?

Another idea is to take the ACE diagnostic test either online or on paper (the online one is free, but I wouldn't do it if your dd isn't proficient on the computer yet). It'll tell you exactly which areas she's weak in, and you could order the exact Pace #'s that it tells you to fill in those gaps.

I didn't choose MUS for remedial work for my oldest dd because of the time factor and my dd's age. Each concept is an entire year-long program, so I went with the Paces so that we could concentrate on just those specific concepts she was missing and keep moving along without being tied to a "whole" program.

Developmental Math is good for remedial work, too.

MUS has levels Alpha,Beta, etc. with no grade levels. Alpha is single digit adding and subtracting, Beta is double digit. It is mastery based. You master or learn one set of facts before moving on. My kids have done Alpha over 1st and half of second and then a year for each level after that.

My ds10 was in serious need of math remediation as well. He hadn't mastered ANY of his facts and it was seriously hindering him. So, we purchased MUS Alpha and started from "scratch". He flew through Alpha and actually RETAINED the facts! Mr. Demme taught it in such a way that my son actually remembered the facts and could do them. We might skip Beta b/c he already knows how to add multiple digit numbers and subtract them as well. Regrouping and borrowing never gave him trouble. So we'll probably go from Alpha to Gamma to re-learn and really cement the multiplication tables and then hopefully move to Delta (division) by winter of next year. Whether or not we'll stick w/ MUS...I don't know. I'd prefer to move him to Singapore, but he really enjoys MUS. So....after he gets past Zeta...who knows. I don't think MUS is as rigorous a program as Saxon or Singapore. I'm hoping to move him back to Saxon for Alg. 1/2. HTH

this is crazy! I could have written your post myself! this morning, we sat down to do school - dd(11 yrs old)has such a hard time with her math page- she got 9 out of 20 incorrect and could not figure out why some of them were wrong!

when it comes to multiplication, she is just plain ole lost!! and trying to figure out averages, she forgets every single time how to do it and I have to remind her.

She should be entering 7th grade this year(she's a 6th/7th grader) in everything else.

What should I do? start over? I feel so bad for her, her frustration is heartbreaking sometimes.

you know, something like ALEKS might be a good change of pace for her. It would assess EXACTLY what she knows and doesn't know, then go from there. It would be less head banging for you, since you don't have to correct anything, and it will *ever so gently* reteach what needs reteaching as many times as necessary. I have a 14yo dd who is just like yours, and this seems to be working well. Your dd might think doing her math on the computer is funner also? Just a thought.

Kayleen

They have one for each of the four basic facts. They put the answer in the box and when you flip them over they check the answer on the back. They should take about five minutes to do if you are timing. I plan to use these with my children, but I am going to have them just do two rows a day (not timed) until they get through the whole sheet. Then I will have them do 3 or 4 rows (not timed) and then the whole sheet timed. Anyway, they only cost a dollar a piece at Rainbow Resource. HTH

Blessings,

Pat

There are some people out there who just can't learn math facts; I'm not saying your daughter is necessarily one of them, but 6 years is an awful long time...

Does she have effective strategies to figure out facts she cannot recall immediately? Dr. Cotter teaches strategies in Right Start that are designed for: (1) kids to use until they reach automaticity; or, (2) people to use who cannot reach automaticity.

How is she with concepts? Does she have problems there too, or it is just with facts?

I worked on all sorts of mastery strategies with her...we have tried drills, flashcards...using charts...writing our facts over and over...triangle flash cards...dominoes...math games...computer games...Math-It...wrap-ups...you name it. She doesn't seem as frustrated as I am which makes me think she just doesn't see the need to learn the facts....or measurements...place vale....she really is just NOT interested....

She does fine on concepts, but has trouble sometimes determining which operation to use.

Funny thing is she is great at logic puzzles and mindbenders.

I just bought Life of Fred fractions for her because I thought it would be a nice change of pace and fun for her, and she is totally amused by the book...but she is getting all of the computations wrong :tongue_smilie:

Maybe she just needs to mature and find a reason to do math but I can't find it within my comfort level to let math slide.

Any other suggestions?? What is she IS one of those people who can't learn math facts...then what do we do??

~~Faithe

Any other suggestions?? What is she IS one of those people who can't learn math facts...then what do we do??
I'd consider continuing math in some form through the summer, preferably something that includes word problems (maybe one of the Singapore Challenging Word Problems books). However, I'd give her a hundreds chart and multiplication table to use without restriction. Play lots of cribbage and find other games which require multiplication and division (Clue Finders 3rd Grade is an excellent program for "hidden" drill).

Evaluate her again after a few months of "not trying."

I can't answer the question as to what to do if she can't reach automaticity with her facts, but I can tell you that there are brilliant mathematicians out there who have that problem.

• 1 month later...