Menu

Night by Weisel at 9th appropriate? (Long, but please help!)

Our alternative school english teacher has selected Night by Eli Weisel as one of the books for next year's 9th grade class. Although I have not read the book myself, apparently he wrote it in the mid 80's and won a Nobel for it. From what I understand, the book graphically depicts a survivor's memories and reflections upon his experiences at a Nazi concentration camp which leads to his questionning faith in God and other equally sobering themes. It is also on Oprah's book club list.

My 14 year old will attend this class twice a week and we round out the total education plan with classes at home. To give you some perspective, other books chosen for the course include "Fahrenheit 451," "The Great Gatsby," "A Christmas Carol," "To Kill a Mockingbird," and one work by Shakespeare.

I have no doubt that "Night" is an astounding work and should be read at some point, but is this the right time? Just because all the high schools read it, should we? Are you more familiar with this book? Is it worth dropping out of the course just to avoid that book? Am I being the stereotypical, over-protective, home school mother?

Please discuss!

I don't like how the Holocaust is being taught at younger and younger ages. I don't want my dd8 knowing about it yet. That said, I think 14 is old enough. And using something as well-written as Night is a good thing, imo. It is a first-hand, primary source, and that makes it extremely valuable to me. While graphic in spots, and, of course, heartbreaking due to the subject matter, it is beautifully done, and done without the over sentimentalism that can come in non-primary sources, if that makes any sense.

I think it's fine for your child to read it. Engrossing, rather understated in parts, heart-wrenching in others---I believe most 14 yo's are ready to engage in some discussion of this very, very difficult subject.

My niece read it in 10th or 11th grade, and I read it then (just a few years ago), and I couldn't handle it. Definitely read it first yourself. There are images from that book I'll never get out of my head, and that haunt me frequently.

I can be knowledgeable about the Holocaust without having nightmares. That's one of the few books I wish I'd never read, and I was horrified that it was assigned reading (this was even before Oprah declared it 'the one book everyone should read').

For even a semi-sensitive child, I'd say no, but you know your child. That book will not be on our reading list in early high school.

I have no problems with my 9th grader reading Night. I really cannot recall anything that was any worse than what I had read in The Hiding Place or seen on tv documentaries. And I am fairly sensitive to true tragedy; I've yet to see Schindler's List and I still get a knot when I think about that scene in Sophie's Choice. But I didn't have a problem with Night.

You know, I think I read the book in one evening. It's very short and you could peruse or read the book and see for yourself whether it's too much.

FWIW, the Bradbury book may be more offensive than Night due to language and theme. But, I like the reading list and given the right discussion that followed the readings, I think it's a great list.

HTH,

Lisa

I would let a 9th grader read it, and I'm pretty conservative. I just scanned it to remind myself which book this was, and I found one swear word, one instance where he's watching babies being thrown into the furnace, but the rest of the book seems to be focusing on the dishonor the Jews were shown on a very human, day-to-day level. They wanted his gold crown, they smacked his father and he was too desensitized to object, the Jews were hungry, they were beaten, they were shaved, they trusted and despaired of their God. I'm simplifying a profound book, of course. It isn't a long work. I recommend reading it for yourself.

Not for my children until their junior or senior year. It broke my heart when I read it, and as much as I know it should do that....I do not want any of my children under 16 reading it. I know I can't protect them forever, but I'm going to try to for a little while longer.

My kids took an outside literature class in seventh grade. The teacher was going to have them read The Hiding Place... I just felt it was too intense for my kids... and so did other parents.. She changed the book to something less intense.

I have not read Night..

ame

The part that I can never get out of my head is the when he describes the soldiers throwing the babies in the air, using them for target practice. In front of their mothers.

It is absolutely inhuman is it not? How in the world do so many people become immune to feeling? I can understand one egomaniacal dictator, and some cohorts feeding on the power, but so many guards and soldiers and hospital workers? This is completely disturbing. And a rude awakening that mankind could fall so far so quickly.

Blessings,

Lisa

I found it too intense for my oldest at 15, but I will give it to her this year (she is now 17), even though we will be reading mostly Year 2 books.

I saved a few others - Brave New World (which she is reading right now), Lord of the Flies, 1984, etc. - that I want to read with her this year before she goes to college. I wanted her to be as mature as possible before we tackled these, kwim?