Menu

FLL without poems?

momma aimee

I am SO excited; our copy of FLL arrived today!@!!! :D

I am looking though it and realizing DS6 is going to be able to do more than one lesson at a time, at least at the start i read though.

Question:

I am thinking of skipping the poems to memorize. DS6 does extensive Bible Verse memorazation, and while it is gift for him and he could do the poem too, i think, without too much trouble. i am wondering, if the point is just to have a child memorize something, then doesn't his Bible work "fill that slot" so the poems would just be extra.

thoughts?

Everyone probably gets tired of me talking about how important I think memorizing is.

I, actually, really like the FLL1 & 2 poems (in their original forms! I looked up the "real" poems on the internet rather than the shorter selections). Some of them are poems I memorized when I was a kid (e.g. Thirty Days Have September). I've seen complaints recently that the poems are "out of context" or unrelated, but several are fitted in with the study of nouns and proper nouns in FLL1. Love it. I would encourage you to do them.

I think part of the reason to memorize is to give students a well of excellent, beautiful language in their heads and useful information. I am totally sold on memorizing Bible and poetry (and catechism, and hymns, and Bible songs, and creeds, and on and on).

I found Andrew Pudewa's arguments in Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization convincing (you can read part of the essay here.)

And, I just listened to Christian Kopff's talk on Rote Memorization on this page and it is a-maz-ing.

Ohhh - don't skip the poems!! My last child just finished FLL 2 this week. All three kids went through the cumulative poem review at the end.

It was so bittersweet knowing that these poems that have been a part of our lives for the last 7 years will now reside in our hearts and minds (and on the bookshelf while I decide whether to save the first edition for grandchildren!!)

We are halfway through FLL1 and I am glad we did the poems. They were relatively easy to remember and have been fun to review. It's something we do while taking walks, etc. Even though we had read most of them in nursery rhyme and poetry books, my daughter really enjoyed memorizing them and now reciting them.

I didn't make my kids memorize them, but we read them through a few times, and they remember them. I just made a list of the main ideas they are supposed to memorize, and made sure we went over all of that material. I do have my kids memorize poetry, but we do our own thing. I pick whatever interests us all, and we memorize that instead. I wasn't crazy about her poem picks.

We also do memory work out of Drew's memory book and lots of Scripture, as well as the poems I choose. The kids love memorizing the poetry. It is just fun to rhyme. :)

We love the poems here! :) Just reading them out loud to them several times over a period of time they just kinda naturally memorize them. I never require my younger children to sit down and memorize them verse by verse. The reviews in FLL make the memorizing so easy and doable. Just enjoy them and read them multiple times outloud. You'll be suprised at the results!!

The poems are wonderful! My son started struggling to memorize the poems. Now, 4 years later (we're just finishing FLL 4) he can memorize a 8-10 stanza poem in a matter of days. He's also been able to retain some of his favorite poems from the previous years. It is worth the effort even if it feels like a struggle at the time.